cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection problems with Windows XP Pro

subzeroplus32

Wireless connection problems with Windows XP Pro

I mostly use an 02 USB modem with my notebook but when I try to connect to the Internet Wirelessly, via my home Broadband, the connection sometimes fails and the main reason it seems, is the PC's IP Address needs to be configured to match the new Wireless configuration.  Question 1.  how do you reconfigure the PC's IP Address manualy, instead of using the REPAIR option, in Network Connections?  2. What makes the PC's IP Address change?   
2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection problems with Windows XP Pro

The difference is that if you use your 3G USB thingy, your IP address is set by the network you are connecting to. At home you are connecting to a different service provider so your IP address will be different. If you are using a network router then it will have its own internet IP address, and will allocate a local network IP address to each PC that connects to it. This process is DCHP.
You can have two different settings for the two networks. There is a guide <a href="http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html">here</a> on how to do it. 
samuria
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection problems with Windows XP Pro

You should be able to browse in Xp for wireless networks and then when you find yours tell it to connect this will setup the ip etc you can also setup priority so you can set O2 as the main one and home as the second. Once done its should just find it you will have to enter your wep key the first time