Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection on Linux Mint 8 Helena

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wireless connection on Linux Mint 8 Helena

Thanks for pointing me to the Linux Mint 8 Helena Live CD.... Have found my way around a couple of things, e.g., how to get into the Windows Files on the HDD... which was the main reason for getting Linux... 
Now I would like to connect through Linux Mint 8 Helena, to the internet via my wireless router.... managed to get the wireless code from the cd. but could not go any further, (did not understand what was wanted from my input !)...
First thought.... do I need to "Fully install Mint 8 Helena" before I can get the wireless connection to work?  Or can it be run from the CD?
I really need a step by step, guide on how to "complete the boxes", so that the wireless connection works.... (I have already done it on this laptop, and my wife`s laptop also connects by wireless)  the Mint way of doing things is quite different to just adding in the SSID and password. for some reason...
Any help will be much appreciated....
Thank you
15 REPLIES 15
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection on Linux Mint 8 Helena

I don't have a Mint CD but with a recent Fedora Live CD using GNOME & NetworkManager it's as simple as (left) clicking on the NetworkManager applet (the two computers close to the date/time applet), clicking on the ESSID for your wireless network, selecting your wireless security mode (ie.WPA), and entering your password.
[You might have to right-click the NetworkManager applet first to enable wireless]
shutter
Community Veteran

Haven`t got the spare machine to hand at the moment.... (don`t want to mess this one up.....!  so use the missus one to play about with !.... well it is my old laptop !)....
If I recall, the way Mint 8 wants to do it is to actually "set up" the wireless connection to that particular laptop... and only entering the SSID and password , does not allow any further actions... the "Apply" box is still "greyed out"...
Thanks for your suggestion... will try later on ...
any further ideas?  "noddy`s guide" ? ? ?  Undecided Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It should work straight from the cd no need to install.
Just downloading the user manual now <a href="http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/user-guide/english.pdf">here</a>
Hmm doesn't seem to be anything about the wireless setup there.
OK click on  <a href="http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi">this</a> It should help you.
I don't use wireless often and my EEE runs a different distro.
Update fixed manual link
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Biker.... have had a quick look and bookmarked it.... (need to get hold of missus laptop to proceed further ! !)...
Not a "priority" problem at the moment.... so taking things step by step....
Have signed up for the Linux Mint 8 Helena forum, so I can get "direct" help from others using the OS...
All help is much appreciated...... Thank you.  Wink

EDIT EDIT EDIT
your linky to the manual shows Error 404  ..... Not Found
is it the same as this one .....
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/user-guide/english.pdf
(which I have also bookmarked !
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yep looks like I have put in twice. Sorry about that.
I use Mint as my main OS so can help with a lot of it, but Wireless is something I use very seldom.
Waldo
Grafter

It's possible your wireless device isn't supported by Linux.
Try running the following command in a terminal:

$ lshw -C network

It'll spit out info about your wired & wireless devices; it gives the following info for my wireless chipset:

description: Wireless interface
      product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
      vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
      logical name: wmaster0
      version: 01
      serial: 00:23:4d:00:9d:2b
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
      configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k ip=192.168.1.104 latency=0 module=ath5k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi waldo.... Ok... so if I did that, and it spat that (or anything like that ) out at me... I still would not understand what it meant...
unless it says " your wireless card is not supported , please download this driver.xxyyzz , and install it"...
all that other stuff is just that ..... stuff !  Undecided
As a point of interest... the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2200 about 2 or 3 years old at most.... with original dell stuff inside, (whatever make and model they dish out ! ! !)  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

put into command... $ lshw -C network
and got a load of stuff back similar to what you showed.....
trying to pick out the "important" bits...
(I am connected via ethernet cable, the blue one, to the router whilst doing this on missus laptop............... reporting results on my laptop !0
* - network 1
            Description : Ethernet interface
loads of info about it
            Capabilities: bus master cap list ethernet physical
              Configuration : broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.2 latency=64 etc etc etc
* -network  DISABLED
Desceription : Wireless interface
physical id: 1
serial 00 ;90 etc etc
capabilities :ethernet physical wireless
Configuration : broacast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
So it seems the wireless is disabled, yet I cannot see how to "enable" it when I have Enable wireless ticked on the two computer icon. and enable network also ticked.....
I do not see any ref to a wireless card driver? ? ? ? 
a wireless driver Broadcom B43 does not dowload and install, when I managed to find that on Hardware Drivers...... says it is not activated, so I clicked on activate, and it shows a box for downloading and installing it.... but it isn`t !
Have sent a PM to Biker955, but he says he doesn`t use Wireless with Helena....
Anyone else point me in the right direction..... simple terms please ! ! !
Thanks
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have a look at http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
Especially
in latest versions of Ubuntu (all flavors) and Debian just need to install the b43-fwcutter package:
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
when you are asked "Fetch and install firmware?" answer "Yes" (just press "Enter)

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Tried that !... didn`t work.... I seem to be hitting a brick wall trying to get anything to "download"... I am connected via the ethernet cable, and have run a speed test so I know I am "on the net"...
for some reason the Broadcom b43 driver will not download/....... should I have the Mint 8 Helena, actually installed on the HDD for it to download to? 
(copied from my PM to Biker955)
Going to MENU (bottom left corner)... I get a page with Control Centre...
Click on Hardware and then Hardware drivers....
I get a pane with Broadcom B43 wireless Driver.... and at the bottom is says....
"This driver is not activated"....        [Activate]
When I click on Activate, a box opens up saying it is downloading and installing it, but even though the bar moves across, it is very quick and disappears, still showing not activated....
? ? ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would think that you can't download to a CD!
I would guess that you either need to do an install or to build a custom CD which includes your wireless driver. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah, I think that is the thing... however, the Phoenix 2009.4 Live CD had a wireless connection .... no problem...
(don`t get me to grab a bit of this code and stick it with a bit of that code to make it work...!  I`m no good at that.... I just want it to work out of the box... so will have a look at Installing it on the HDD and see what happens..... Unless anyone can make me a CD with it included ! ! !)
Heloman
Grafter

I have a cop[y of  Mint7 installed and am running it fine with a wireless connection to a Broadcom 43 driver.
I am allergic to command lines and have never needed to use them Smiley
You need to go to Menu/Control Centre/Network Connection and point to the .inf and .sys files on the routers (inserted)  install CD when prompted.
shutter
Community Veteran

I think the main problem is, that I am "testing" the waters, so to speak....
I am running Mint 8 Helena from the CD.... and NOT installed on hdd...
so when I get a message to "activate" the Broadcom B43 driver, it says "downloading and installing", but it does not actually do that..... as mentioned before...... probably because I do not have Mint Installed for it to be installed to.....