cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless adaptor

geoffg1
Grafter

Wireless adaptor

I know very little about broadband, so I've put my question in this section.
I have plus.net broadband with the Thomson Gateway as supplied by Plus.Net. I have another PC in a different room which doesn't have a wireless facility. Is there a usb type plug in which would enable my other PC to connect wirelessly to my Thomson Gateway.
Cheers
Geoff Embarrassed
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Wireless adaptor

Basically , yes,  there are lots of USB Wireless Adaptors out there. You need an 802.11G ( or 54M ) one to be compatible with the Thomson Gateway. You will need a spare USB2.0 port on the PC to get maximum performance.
Have a look here http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Network+Products/Wireless/Adapter+-+USB/?x=12&p_order=price_asc&p=cF9...
or here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+wireless&x=0&y=0
Shout up with any more questions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

Just my own observations on this:
I have a USB wireless dongle (Edimax) that I tried on my friend's machine which was upstairs - router downstairs. Signal was not strong enough so had to abandon it.
On the other hand, it works very well on another friend's desktop but she lives in a small bungalow and the distance between it and the router is very short indeed.
A better solution is an internal wireless card. Last time I fitted one I used a Linksys and it cost about £14.99 from Amazon. It was easy to install (it must be if I can manage it).
geoffg1
Grafter

Thanks for those replies. There's a Silicon shop not far from here, so I'll pop in and see what they have.
Cheers again
Geoff Smiley
geoffg1
Grafter

Hi again,
I ended up getting a Mini usb wireless dongle from ebay. Works super. Thanks again for the help.
geoff Smiley
Not applicable

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. Just as a matter of interest, how far away from the router is the machine with the dongle?
geoffg1
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in replying. The pc with the dongle is in the room above the router, so I suppose it's about 12 feet away. Quite close. really.
Cheers again
Geoff  Smiley
Not applicable

Thanks for that. It's a similar distance to my friend's set up. Might be worth another try when I am in the mood.
Glad that yours is working well.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Here is a "simple" way to boost the "directional" quality of a wireless dongle...... once it is completed, you just "point" the dongle towards the source (router) of the wireless signal and it SHOULD improve both reception and transmission distances...
(haven`t tried it, but I think the video shows it works ! ! )
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-hack-wifi-usb-adapter-better-reception-210506/
Not applicable

Intriguing! Would never have thought of it. Wonder if it has to be wire strainer?
(Poppy goes off to raid kitchen cupboard!).  Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

all ready tried this a year ago. yes it does work, but i found two bake bean tins put togther to make a long tube works better if your trying for just distance but not area covered.
think the strainer gave a 1/4 more ap's and the bake bean tins was picking up ap's a few streets away but could only see one ap at a time