cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless adapters help please

Teds31
Grafter

Wireless adapters help please

I have got my wireless router from PN Voyger 2091 and intend to set it up,I have bought a Belkin 'G+USB adapter' but now I find by going into "config" that I have "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet" on my computer.
Config says, Media State    Media Disconnected
                      Discription      Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet
Do I now need the adapter or would it be better to use that now I have bought it.
  Help please.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Wireless adapters help please

Do you want to connect to the router using a wired or wireless connection? If your PC is close to the router I would recommend a wired connection as it will be more reliable than wireless.
The RTL8139 is your Ethernet connection (wired) either on your motherboard or you have a PCI network card installed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet" adaptor is almost certainly a WIRED ethernet adapter. If you wish to wirelessly connect to your router then you will still need your Belkin wireless adapter. If on the other hand your PC is close to your router then you could connect via an ethernet cable and you would not need your Belkin adapter.
[Edit - Peter got in while I was posting ]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Teds31
I have "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet" on my computer.
Config says, Media State    Media Disconnected
                      Discription      Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet
Do I now need the adapter or would it be better to use that now I have bought it.
  Help please.

That is definitely your wired connection. It says "Media Disconnected" because there is no ethernet wire connected. Depending upon your operating system, you will need to follow some kind of installation procedure for your USB wireless "G+USB" adaptor [it (or something similar) is required for wireless].
This will give you a wired + a wireless network capable PC.
Follow the setup instructions...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Teds31
Grafter

Thankyou all,that answers my question,the actual situation is that my speed are not really all that good and maybe its due to the internal wireing (I've been reading some recent posts) as I am useing a extension telephone socket,I thought I would put my wireless router next to the main BT incoming socket and use the wireless connection to get better speeds.Does anyone have a comment on that.Thankyou all again.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Teds31
I thought I would put my wireless router next to the main BT incoming socket and use the wireless connection to get better speeds.

That's usually the best arrangement and as far as ethernet cabling or wireless, there is nothing to be gained at current broadband speeds.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks Fretmaster as there are no solid brick walls between the main socket and the computer and I live in a bungalow I think I will give it a try.
Teds31
Grafter

Hi I have not as yet had time to connect a wireless router,but useing my Voyger 205 I have had aset speed of 3000 kbps,getting actual speed of around 2700kbps.useing the BT speed checker the max speed is shown as 3770kbps and as been so for a couple of weeks.I tried "Sam Knows" and it said a speed of 5065kbps ,IP profile 4Mbps.
My line stats show
                    local line atten  41.5
                    local SNR  15
Does anyone think I might reach higher speeds than at present as my profile as been constant at 3770 for a long time.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That's because your noise margin is 15dB - which is indicative of an unstable line. With a decent router connected to the BT socket (Netgear recommended) you should be able to reduce that to 6dB and (hopefully) get a considerable speed improvement.
Make sure you get a 54M capable wireless router (ie not some old second-hand stuff).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Teds31
Grafter

Hi Jeremy sorry I didnt answer been on hols.going back to my original idea and going to use wireless from the BT socket may have to wait a while as I am a bit busy at the moment,and I do have the 3770 connection.Thanks for the help.TED