Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless access points and beam steering

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Wireless access points and beam steering

I understand that I can now buy a wireless access point that works in ac mode and on both 5MHz and 2.4MHz bands. Because the access point has several aerials and the associated transmitting circuitry, it can steer the beam so that I get more signal where the receiver (laptop or whatever) is and less where it is not. However, my laptops all work on the n standard. Does anyone know whether the access point can steer the beam when talking to a n-standard receiver (so transmitting at an n speed but potentially still using all of its aerials) or does the receiver have to be ac as well.
Can it also steer its receiving system so that it can receive a signal from the laptop and make sense of it when the laptop is far enough away to need the access point to steer its transmitted signal so that the laptop can hear it?
Can anyone recommend a suitable access point - this is for domestic use, not commercial so I am thinking of one costing more like £100 than £500?
Thanks for any advice or comments anyone can offer
4 REPLIES 4
C1Rider
Grafter

Re: Wireless access points and beam steering

That sounds interesting,  Cool  do you have a link to a manufacturer of this access point ?Huh
Thanks,
C1Rider
Grafter

Found some info; small quote:-
"
The system also comes with some predictive algorithms so that once it has worked out which is the best way to deliver a particular signal, it gets better at finding the most effective radiation pattern more immediately. The company already sees future markets for active antennas in hospitals, inventory tracking, traffic control, car-to-car control, metering, cameras and Internet of Things sensors.
"
From that I guess that as it's working at RF  it should work for you ..
More reading here:-
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/20/ethertronics_rf_wifi_beamsteering_could_kill_fixed_home_netw...
Regards..
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks for those links. I will look at them tomorrow.
An example of one I was looking at - but in complete ignorance so just an example is the "TRENDnet TEW-815DAP AC1750 Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi Access Point (1750Mbps AC)" which BroadbandBuyer are selling which appears to be a reasonable price if it is any good.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

They don't work on 5MHz and 2.4MHz.. they work in GHz.. MHz wouldn't be able to carry enough data  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!