Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Problem

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Wireless Problem

Have you tried making sure that the Windows Wireless Zer Configuration Service is actually stopped.
See here http://paininthetech.com/2005/10/25/disable-wireless-zero-configuration-in-windows-xp
Most third party Wireless software usually disables it successfully these days but the Belkin software is not so good by all accounts!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

easyqueenie
Hooked

The windows software was still running so I've now disabled it, doesn't seem to have done anything (it is running in the background on this laptop with no problems.)
I clicked the "diagnose connection problems" button on IE and it told me there was an issue with winsock so I allowed it to attempt to fix it and do a restart.  That problem is no longer flagging up but the fix hasn't changed anything.
Having looked up winsock and seen some references to spyware removal I do recall that I virus scanned and spyware scanned the desktop last week around the time we started getting internet issues.  I've run winsockfix on the desktop now to no avail.
I've been watching the wireless network connection info for a while and it's doing some odd things.  It's coming up with "automatic private address"  and an ip address of either all 0's or 169.254.73.60, not the IP address assigned to the desktop by the router.  I've been into the command prompt and run ipconfig/release then ipconfig/restore and had the error that the DCHP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network.

Any of that any use to anyone?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The IP addresses of 0... or 169... mean that the wireless adaptor has not established a proper connection to your router.  I find you sometimes need to restart the computer to fix this type of error. 
easyqueenie
Hooked

Well it's been switched off and on about 20 times today and it doesn't seem to change.
I've just manually configured my IP address etc and it still won't acess anything.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've been into the command prompt and run ipconfig/release then ipconfig/restore and had the error that the DCHP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network.

That should be ipconfig/renew, was it a typo ?
Are you sure that the laptop is set for DHCP , could it possibly be set to a static IP and is the same as the one the router is trying to give the desktop ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

easyqueenie
Hooked

Yes it was a typo, feeling really tired now (I'm over 8 months pregnant so battling computers isn't exactly what I want to be doing today!)
The laptop is set to DHCP according to the router, as is the desktop.  I have them both with "always use the same address" ticked although I've tried switching that off and it didn't change anything. 
There are 4 devices shown in my list, the desktop and laptop both on the WLAN and the laptop again on ethport1.  All have unique IP addresses, the 1st 3 sets of numbers are the same then they are assigned 65, 64 and 66 respectively as the final number.  Only other thing appearing is dsldevice with an Ip address that matches the router and has no interface listed.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Why don't you run System Restore and take your settings back to the day when your desktop adaptor was working?  If it starts working again then something that happened subsequently caused it to become erratic.  If it still plays up then it is most probably a hardware problem that cannot be undone by changing software settings.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Failing that I think its time to start considering that the Wireless PCI card is faulty I'm afraid.
TBH the Belkin wireless stuff is not that great there are a number of reports of them not working too well.
On the other hand they do have a lifetime warranty so you might get it replaced but it will probably take a while.
Why not try and get a cheap USB wireless dongle whilst you argue with Belkin ( or wait until after your new arrival when you're  feeling more like the hassle ).

easyqueenie
Hooked

I've never done a System Restore so I'd need to figure out what I'm doing.  Earlier tonight I completely removed and then re-installed the Belkin card and software, doesn't seem to have helped.
As an aside I just connected hubby's ipod touch to the network with pretty much no fuss.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

System Restore: 
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
Select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time and choose a restore point on the day when your wireless adaptor was working, if there is one.  If not choose a day before you installed the adaptor then re-install it after system restore completes.
I am actually convinced that your adaptor is faulty but if you have been following all the advice on this thread I am worried that your computer settings may be so changed from standard Windows settings that you may now have problems even with a new working adaptor.  System Restore will take you back to where you started and is a tool you MUST learn how to use if you are going to do all this other messing around.