Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Printer (2)

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Wireless Printer (2)

I have a wireless printer Brother 3150 CDW and it works fine but........

I got a email from Google the other day to say that from the end of March they would no longer be supporting the scan and print app due to some security considerations.

Does this mean the existing app will no longer work or simply that they no longer support it ?

Had a similar message from google but this time about photographs advising they would no longer have that site and to download any photos that needed saving.

I am talking about Google +

Only other thing that crossed my mind is that this is a scam ?

Anyone have similar messages or any further info on the above

We are born into history and history is born into us.
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Wireless Printer (2)

I've had the messages about Google+ over the past few months and downloaded the 4 photos I had on there to local storage.

It's not a scam that I am aware of.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I've also had the same message. Apparently Google+ will be going.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Pete11 wrote:

apparently Google+ will be going.

All the more reason to buy your own HDD/SSD for storing your stuff....

put it on line/cloud storage, and you never know where it is, or who is doing what, with it... and you can easily lose it.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fortunately I only have a few photos on there and every photo I have is backed up on 2 drives in case one goes kaput.

My main concern is the Brother Print and scan app, it 's the only one that seems to work ok with the printer.

Tried other apps including paid ones but they either do not work or print out gibberish.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You cannot trust the cloud!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

What I don't understand is what Google has to do with a Brother print and scan app. I have an Epson and use the printer over wi-fi. I can also send pics from anywhere using the Epson iPrint app from my phone directly to my printer and it works a treat. I haven't yet been told by Google it's not going to be supported and questioned this with Epson. The reply from Epson was that it's Google trying to muscle in on certain brands and that Epson will be supporting it's own app and there is no need for concern.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
VileReynard
Hero

It's Google collecting info on how much printing & scanning you do.

You can be sold to companies who want to sell ink or associated software at appropriate times (for example).

Google are evil - company motto.

I'm in the middle of moving most of my email from Gmail to another (free) webmail provider who don't show me adverts and don't store my online purchases as detailed JSON files.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I've got thousands of photos in the cloud - 14.48Gb worth of unlimited supposedly. It does cost money, once every 2 years but very handy when on holiday. Take photos and upload. If the SD card fails, goes walkies, minimal loss.

But all those photos are also backed up on 3 different hard drives as well. Like you say @VileReynard , never trust the cloud. Look what happened with Myspace. 12 years worth of data zapped.

Yes, Google + is to be buried. Presumably not enough income for Google.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero

I never understood what Google+ was for anyway.

Cheap enough to keep multiple copies of photos on USB sticks anyway.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I have solved this on the desktop computer using Linux Mint 19.

Pity there is not some way to solve it on my Samsung Android Tablet.

Comments about Google are interesting.........Just how much money do these (Censored) want to make ?

VileReynard
Hero

Couldn't you send email attachments of your photo's from your Tablet to your email account used by your Desktop?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fix

Not really bothered about sending any photos as I have all the originals on 2 HD's

What I really need is to be able to print off any invoices, bills etc that arrive on my tablet. The same info will be on my desktop and having solved the printing issue with Linux ( I never use windows on line) That resolves the issue for me.

As 90% of my time is spent on a tablet it would have been handy to print direct as before.

Thanks for your help

weeartyones

I got the same email from Google but my scan and print app still works fine now. I think they no longer support the app as there maybe some app security vulnerabilities. But generally these are very small and nothing to worry about. 

weeartyones

Google + never took off hence the reason google are moving away from it