cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless-G ADSL2+gateway

amcbride
Grafter

Wireless-G ADSL2+gateway

Complete novice here but having problems with this Linksys modem and router. Set it up on new laptop (Vista)and got online but it was running really slow compared to my speed touch on my old desktop. Switched it off and then back on and couldn`t get any pages to load seemed to be connecting but just hanging.
New to vista but tried out all the tools to diagnose problems. They got me to turn off firewall but no change to problem. However seemed to suggest that the local  IP address may be  conflicting with the 2 VPN endpoints (what ever that means).
The original original IP for the Lan connection was 192.168.1.1 when  I changed this to a different address 169.254.117.80 and pinged this I got a 50% loss which was an improvement. I have checked on my other computer and its showing an IP of 80.229.241.10
Now remembering I`m stumbling in the dark what should the IP address be set on the gateway for me to get this thing loading ?Huh
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

Re: Wireless-G ADSL2+gateway

Just checked on my Linksys setup and the local IP address is the same as your first one i.e. 192.168.1.1
I'm sorry that I can't be of much help (can just about set a wireless connection up but no good at problem-solving them).
However, if it is of any use when I set mine up I used the setup disk and it just sorted itself out. BTW I'm using Vista too.
If you want screen shots of any sections of my Linksys interface, just shout up.
samuria
Grafter

Re: Wireless-G ADSL2+gateway

You dont say what model Linksys modem and router.
You dont say if you are connecting by wireless or cable.
You need to connect by cable to set the router up set the network to get IP automatically and you should then get it to work
Once you have done that you may need to setup some settings on the router the book/instructions should give you the ip address of the routers page.
If you run ipconfig /all you should see the default gateway set to the same as the routers home page.
If you are connecting via radio you will need to set the key on the pc to match the router.
Any problem post the results of ipconfig /all