Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Cards and Encryption

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Wireless Cards and Encryption

May appear to be a stupid question but is the type of encryption on wireless cards software or hardware coded in? Do all cards use WPA?
I have an old Acer laptop with inprocomm i2220 wireless card in which I can't seem to get connected on anything other than wep making it weaken my network. I'm looking to use the strongest security I can but how do you find which type is supported by the card?
I was thinking that the card would just pick up the signal and the logarithms etc would be software related.
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Wireless Cards and Encryption

It will largely depend on the drivers which in turn may be limited by the underlying hardware.
I have some older wireless devices that only support WEP.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

That was my worry, I found this http://downloads.amilda.org/docs/datasheets/IPN2220%20PB_031204.pdf bottom left it does say WPA not sure if I would have to find some different drivers than from the Acer site though.
MrC
Grafter

If you're happy to fiddle a bit then check to see if the wireless adapter is a standard removeable mini-pci adapter under a hatch somewhere. If it is then you've the option of getting a replacement adapter off Ebay or somewhere. They're usually pretty cheap (eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-3945ABG-Mini-PCI-Wireless-Card-/250699706442?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAcces...) and if you stick to one of the better known makes like Intel or Broadcom then getting drivers shouldn't be a problem.
(This route can also be used to upgrade an older laptop to 802.11n)
Alternatively get a USB wireless adapter.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks MRC that's the route I think I'll go down, I don't mind a fiddle  Grin There's pull out for adding PCMIA cards on the side so may be just a case of disabling the one in there and inserting another.
MrC
Grafter

Ah, if it's PCMCIA (not mini-pci) then that's even easier  Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

There is a PCMCIA slot available, the one that's in is mini-pci I think. If its easy enough to get out I will if not I might just disable it.