cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired Network issues with 2704n

sandyscott

Wired Network issues with 2704n

Hi,
I'm seeing a weird issue where the 2704n won't talk to an old Shuttle XS35V3 over wired ethernet.
I don't get any activity lights at all when connected directly to the router - which is not a network issue I've seen before.  I've tried all the network ports on the 2704n, with a few different cables. The computer will talk quite happily via hub, and will connect to every other device I've plugged it into, but not this router.
It's not super critical, because it works when there's a switch in between the computer and router, but it is a little annoying - has anyone else seen this?
Sandy
5 REPLIES 5
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Wired Network issues with 2704n

they might be trying to operate at different lan speeds and thus be incompatible, it would explain why putting a switch into the loop fixes the problem as they adjust the network speed on the fly to suit the equipment connected on either side /
I have zero experience of the shuttle though so I cant really give you a decent answer
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi sandyscott,
welcome to the forum btw.  You don't seem to have had any more replies which is a shame. Don't know anything about the Shuttle I'm afraid, but here's a couple of ideas which may be of some help?
Does it show up as an unknown device on the Home page under My Home Network - if at all?
Have a look at >Device Info >ARP and also >DHCP and see what's showing up.
Try assigning a Static IP address at >Advanced Setup >LAN
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I was wondering if it might need a crossed cable, the 2704N is supposed to be auto detecting, but I don't know that unit first hand.  Are there any conditions that will cause the 2704N to put the port "err disabled"?  Seems unlikely with that class of kit, but that would also result in no link lights either end.
Another possibility would be a speed/duplex or negotiation mismatch.  On the Shuttle can you configure these on the LAN?  If so it might be worth hard coding them as 100meg Full.  Having said that, with a speed or duplex mismatch I'd expect the status light to show at least something.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well the crossed-cable is certainly a random idea and in this situation I guess anything might be worth trying, however it works when connected via a switch, did it work previously when connected to a different (presumably older) (modem/)router?
I'd guess that any speed/duplex mismatch might affect the status/activity lights but not knowing exactly how old it is, does it have the latest drivers?
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't think I've ever seen a duplex mismatch that didn't show a link light of some sort at least at one end, but I don't think I can remember examples of a speed mismatch.  I would be surprise though, after all the whole point of a mismatch is that at least one end thinks it has connection.
An MDI/MDI-X mismatch would definitely have both status light off, as it would effectively be the same as no cable connected.  But then again the 2704N is supposed to be auto sensing.    However, IF the auto sensing was imperfect the that could explain the symptoms if the switch is better in that regard (or has a different default). 
To Sandy - do you know what make of network card or network chip the Shuttle has?