cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winzip

hermit
Dabbler

Winzip

I have just received a wedding photo album from Australia via my googlemail using Winzip. My Winzip account has expired and it will cost me nearly 30 euros to subscribe once again. Is there any way I get these photos downloaded to my computer or CD. I'm afraid that I am not much good at this sort of thing. Thanks. H.
11 REPLIES 11
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Winzip

Try a little app called 7Zip.
http://www.7-zip.org/
Will do all you need to create and and decompress such files.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Win XP seems to have a working unzip built in - works OK for me
Also just done a test, if you select some files, right click and send to - zipped file that works, no need for any other program Cheesy Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But only if you haven't installed winzip first - once installed even if removed later it messes up the one included in XP
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I had an evaluation copy of winzip on my old machine.  I didn't pay for it and used it for years. Each time I fired it up I had to wait for a countdown before using it.  Doesn't this work any more?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Win XP seems to have a working unzip built in - works OK for me
Also just done a test, if you select some files, right click and send to - zipped file that works, no need for any other program Cheesy Smiley

Where is this in XP Pierre?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

In the system some where, if you get a zip file and right click on it (I think - Oh wait I will try) and then open that it does,  same the other way, select the files to want to zip, right click and its on the menu  Grin
samuria
Grafter

Winzip accounts dont expire as you bought the software. What may have changed is you have to buy the new version but your serial etc will work on what ever version you bought and I am sure a Google will find your version.
Its free to download and works fine just a few nags. look for their Beta Program I use that and get it for free
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd endorse Phil's recommendation of 7-zip - it's a sourceforge project and so is free.
Edit: It will also co-exist quite happily with Winzip so for anyone using a version of Winzip of dubious legality I'd suggest giving 7-zip a go. It also does far more than Winzip:
# High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
# Supported formats:
    * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    * Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
# For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
# Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
# Self-extracting capability for 7z format
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Not applicable

WinRAR evaluation copy came on my laptop (Vista). It still works but everytime I access it there is a message that it it is a 40 day trial version and is not free software.
On our other laptop the zip file system is the Windows Vista one (which I prefer).  If the Windows one is on my computer, could anyone say where it might be found.  If not, is it possible to transfer the file from the other laptop and if so, again, where is it?
(Sorry to hijack this thread but this has been bugging me for ages).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Poppy,
You might try this route - http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-202
Found this one which is much safer
"Start menu
Type "command" in the search box
Then right click on "Command Prompt" as is now shown above in the menu
and select "Run as Administrator"
In the command window type
assoc .zip=CompressedFolder
That will restore .zip files to their original Windows Explorer
associations."
Taken from here http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=677773
Not applicable

Oldjim - thank you so much. I was just about to try the RegEdit fix but was making sure that I had a recent restore point as I hate anything to do with the Registry. By the time that I got back to the question you had re-posted with the safe fix and I have successfully done it.
It's good to have the Windows version back and I can now ditch WinRAR and it's annoying popup (I also find it unnecessarily complicated).
It has been bugging me for ages - am very grateful for your time.