Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows10 - version 1709

FIXED
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Windows10 - version 1709

Since the beginning of January 2018, I have been plagued with the cumulative update for W10 Version 1709 for x64-based System (KB4056892) asking me to restart the device to update.  Every time I restart I keep getting a message that the update was not finished.  It is over 6 weeks now and I am now beginning to get really annoyed with this.  What am I doing wrong?

Can any expert/s in Windows10 help and point me in the right direction to resolve this issue?

Thanks and I await your feedback.

Chandu.

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Windows10 - version 1709

I had the same issue on an old pc but just recently it worked, your not doing anything wrong it should correct itself.

robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

It could be that the update is corrupted.

Go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4056892 and download the update again and see if that cures the problem.

Good luck.

chandu
Rising Star

@robski1 Thanks,  I will give it a go over the weekend.  Will post the outcome here.

@St3 Thanks, let us hope it sorts itself out before the weekend, so I do not have to go through the download and install.

Thank you very much all for your support.

Many regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

Here is the update o what has happened since last Monday.

Apart from frustratingly re-starting the system 3-4 times a day during the week, I kept getting the same message - on update of "2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows10 Version 1709 for x64-based system (KB4056892)" - Could NOT finish the update.

Now I have decided to clear Notification message relating to the above as I am fed-up frequently restarting the system and NOT getting anywhere..

I have just re-tried  to download the update, as suggested by St3, KB4056892, during the download I had a message saying the update is already ready to install and awaiting re-start.  Ho do I remove the already (automatically) downloaded KB***6892 so that I can download a fresh version?

Any help will be appreciated.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Start->Settings->Update & Security->Troubleshoot->Windows Update

robski1
Aspiring Pro

You will need to remove the update from the Windows Software Distribution Folder.

Follow the instruction in this link and the download the update again.

You may have to temporarily disable your antivirus during the download. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/software-distribution-folder-in-windows.

Hope this helps.

chandu
Rising Star

Hi all,

@Browni, Thank you for your hint about Windows Update troubleshooter.  I have done this during the weekend.  I had to carry out the troubleshooting several time before I could clear the "could not finish the update" message.  So, thank you for your help and it is appreciated.

@robski1,  thank you for the suggestion of the way to clear the update folder.  I haven't done it yet as Browni's suggestion has seem to have cleared the issue.

Will be in touch again if the need be.

Many thanks all of you for your help.

chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

I have tried the method suggested by @Browni to use the "Windows Update Trouble shooter" but failed dismally.

I have also tried the method suggested by @robski1 to remove the update folder/s and again failed badly.

It appears that MS has sent the updates for newer devices though they were very keen to upgrade as many devices as possible to W10 without considering the issues people with older devices may face.

I just wait for their Ver. 1803 Update to W10 and hope that it overcomes the issues I am facing currently with Ver. 1709.

Any other suggestions will be gratefully welcome.

Many regards.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've been there already. If you want, here's the drama on the MS Community - Click here. You'll see is was an absolute nightmare. Using their search facility lists 000's of reports. MS did deny it was their fault initially.

The workaround that you could use (this issue reoccurred twice more for me) is to temporary hide the update using this utility -

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Find the update, tick it as per the image below and click next.

The only real way I could get around this is to completely wipe the system and start again using the recovery partition built in to this notebook - it is a major decision as it wipes most of your HDD/SSD. I did this the first time but chose the easier method for the other two times (the hide option).

In either case, my OS was up and running with no issues.

hide updates.PNG

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If Windows is really broken another option is Reset this PC.

Windows 10 ResetWindows 10 Reset

robski1
Aspiring Pro

Another way of solving the problem is to reinstall Windows 10 over the top of the existing installation.

This video shows how to do it without losing any of your apps or data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

I have used this method to sort out a couple of computers belonging to friends. It works well but does take a bit of time.

You do need to turn off your anti virus whilst doing the install.

chandu
Rising Star

Hi DS,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I will try your suggestion after I have followed @Browni's suggestion of resetting the PC.

Many thanks and I will post here with the outcome.

Many regards.

chandu
Rising Star

Hi @Browni and @robski1,

Thank you for your suggestions which I intend to carry out first and if they do not work then I will try @DS's suggestion of hiding the offending updates (x64 updates).

Many thanks for your help and will keep this board updated on the outcome.

Many regards.

Boz
Rising Star

Hi chandu

I had an awful lot of trouble with version 1709.   It kept failing, and failing, and failing to install.   This went on for nearly 10 weeks, according to the update history.   And it was only recently that I saw a message telling me what the problem was.   Version 1709 didn't like the manufacturer's Disk Encription program.   It had never been a problem before, so why it should have caused trouble this time was beyond me.   Anyway, I checked with the manufacturer's technical support ( another nightmare), and they were happy in the end for this program to be uninstalled.   All I can suggest is that you invoke the update again and watch for any messages to appear - I had to wait until it had completed 83% of the installation !!

Boz