Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows updates

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows updates

For the last dozen or so shut downs I have been getting the usual "Update" indicator in the "shut down" button. On inspection it seems Windows wants me to download an Internet Explorer 11 update at 36Mb.
I don't use Internet Explorer, although I realise it exists on my PC. But I have no interest in updating it
It seems its going to keep on offering this update until I do something about it but, I can find no way of declining this update. Un-ticking it in control panel doesn't work as it immediately re-ticks itself.
How can I stop this annoying situation and not have the update, or am I going to have to download it anyway?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Windows updates

The problem is IE is used not just for browsing.
Skype, for example uses it as I found to my cost when an update broke my IE and took Skype down with it.
I currently have IE9 and regularly refuse an update to IE11.
Just checked and I have IE10 and IE11 waiting to be installed on Windows Update but are unticked and remain so.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Right click on the update in the list and choose to ignore it (in Vista & 7). Not checked if this works for that particular update in question but can't help to try it.
That's RPM to you!!
HPsauce
Pro

Nothing wrong with IE11, why not let it install?
As it happens my W7 system is still on IE10. I have deferred installing it for now for my own specific technical reasons. If yours won't defer you may hove some other system problems to resolve?
PS If you open IE then open the Help, About box there's an "automatic update" box you can untick.  Wink
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have W7 and am told it is up to date. Shows the last update was on 29th November.  Is this right?
HPsauce
Pro

Depends what it was. My last "major" update was more than 2 weeks before that. Expecting another batch next week.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

W7 is new on this PC so I was making sure everything was up to date.  I just thought there may have been more since then but you've put my mind at rest. Thank you.
HPsauce
Pro

Microsoft normally only issue updates monthly, on "Patch Tuesday". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks again for the info. I was unaware updates were generally only done once a month.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Nothing wrong with IE11, why not let it install?

I won't let it or IE10 install because then Skype will not work on my PC.
I have tried all the solutions available except a trash and reinstall of windows.
It works under IE9.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
computing50yrs
Grafter

Well I have IE11 installed and use Skype as well with no problems,  I have latest version of Skype which is 6.11.60.102 so maybe that why Skype fails if using earlier version
Only problem I had with IE11 is the PlusNet Assist as they haven't updated it for IE11 so says its not compatible see my other posting

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Strat
I won't let it or IE10 install because then Skype will not work on my PC.

Not a problem I've seen and PC support is what I do for a living, so it sounds fairly specific to your system.
For @Petlew (the OP) it's a low risk; may not even use Skype.
Strat
Community Veteran

Others have come across the issue and various solutions (including one from Microsoft) tried with varying results.
In my case I believe an OS reinstall is the way forward and needed anyway to get rid of garbage.