Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows start menu trick?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Windows start menu trick?

I'm sure I've seen in the past a trick where if you wanted to open multiple programs/files you could do something that left the start menu open after each one. You'd use this for example if you wanted to open multiple work documents. I've tried all the likely shift, ctrl etc combinations.
Am I imagining things or does anyone know how to do this? I'm on Windows 7 - it could be I'm remembering something that was in an earlier version.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Windows start menu trick?

I've never seen this in any version of Windows - so far. That's not to say it doesn't exist or there's a third party program for it. But it was one of the major things I missed when moving from RISC OS on Acorn computers with a three button mouse where the middle button opened a menu a right-click left the menu open for further selections.
The other thing I missed was the ability to Shift-Click on a windows close icon to have it temporarily minimised to the desktop.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows start menu trick?

iirc that went out with xp sp 2,
certainly I haven't seen it since then although it was (and still is something I can do on my xp-sp1 junk machine ) I haven't actually bother with it though since xp and the ability to just task bar frequent use stuff and open it from there, with 7 & 8.1 its a necessary evil to have half of the stuff I want on the desktop though (I hate cluttered desktops)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you