Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows software

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Windows software

I Think most computers come with windows 7 pre installed but I am not really keen on this idea.
I Could purchase a windows 7 disk but understand I can only use this on a single computer so if I use 2 computers that would mean purchasing a second disk or am I just being over cautious about purchasing a computer with windows pre installed. That would  be the cheaper option but if the drive developed a problem then reinstallation would be a headache even if I had backed up the system to an external drive using appropriate software (according to some internet blogs)
In short what does everyone else do who uses 2 computers. ?
Must admit I am tempted by Linux but know zero about it and assume many of my current programs would not run using it ? (ie Windows programs, photoshop)
We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows software

Quote from: gleneagles
In short what does everyone else do who uses 2 computers. ?

Or more......
I have many more than 2 computers running Windows (XP Home*n, XP Pro, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate x64, 7Home Premiumx64).
(and going back 2000, Millenium edition and not installed now - 98, 95, 3.11 and 3.1)
All have properly licensed individual copies of Windows, mostly OEM.
I have the media (and keys) to reinstall each one if necessary.
Think I've got NT4 and NT 3.51 somewhere too......  Cry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Must admit I am tempted by Linux but know zero about it and assume many of my current programs would not run using it ? (ie Windows programs, photoshop)

There is usually a Linux equivalent or better, for most Windows programs.
It is possible, with some difficulty, to run some Windows programs on Linux...
e.g. http://www.gimp.org/screenshots/ - also available in Windows.
You can run several Linux OS's by booting from a CD, without actually installing anything (limited by the speed of a CD drive, obviously).
It's worth finding out how to do this, even if it's just to repair a Windows installation.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: A

You can run several Linux OS's by booting from a CD, without actually installing anything (limited by the speed of a CD drive, obviously).
It's worth finding out how to do this, even if it's just to repair a Windows installation.

I can agree with Foxy.... well worth having a play around .... try Linux MINT... from a LIVE CD..... You download an ISO file then burn it to CD.... insert the CD and then Boot up. with the CD as priority 1...
when you have finished. shut it down.... remove the CD and then re-boot.... windows will magically appear...  Linux has not been put onto your HDD....
You can access your windows files from the LINUX version... if windows fails to boot.....
gadfly
Grafter

You can buy the Family Pack of three licences for Win7 Home Premium for only £108 here -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-customer/dp/B002MT21N6/ref=sr_1_1?s=softwa...
This is a time-limited offer that no one knows the end date of, so hurry if you want it.
You can allow a relative touse the other licence.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for that.
Very useful information !!
We are born into history and history is born into us.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I Think most computers come with windows 7 pre installed but I am not really keen on this idea.

From the above I thought the OP was thinking of buying a PC without an operating system and then installing Windows.
The £108 Family Pack is for upgrading from XP/Vista.
Njal
Grafter

As long as the OP has a legal copy of XP/Vista he can get a legal copy of Win 7 and a clean install from an upgrade disk (probably! It worked for me):
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/2adqa68
Regards,
Neil
gadfly
Grafter

You don't even need a valid copy of XP or Vista to clean-install the Upgrade version of Win7 to a new or formatted drive.
I have valid copies of both XP and Vista, but when my PC's hard drive failed, I discovered that nothing prevents the owner of an
Upgrade version from clean installing it on a new hard drive as the only drive in the computer.