Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows shutdown

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows shutdown

Guy's, I'm sorry to ask this one yet again, but I keep losing the answer...
SWMBO constantly instead of shutting down her laptop, forgets to use the drop down menu and uses whatever happens to be showing in the "shut down" window, more often than not "sleep"
"You" have told me in the past how to set "Shut down" as the default showing in the window. Would "you" please tell me again?
Or better still is there a way of hiding/deleting the other shut down options. Only shut down is required.
PS. the O/S is Vista Home Basic.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES 7
hadden
Grafter

Re: Windows shutdown

Hi
Here are the answers from the last time. Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

A good way is to change the power settings so that the physical buttons definitely "turn off" then train her to just press the power button.
Make the "sleep" button (if any) and lid closing do that too to be sure.
(It's also easier than messing with a mouse or touchpad.)
petlew
Pro

Thanks gents. I promise to print it off this time and file where I'll remember where it is.
Unfortunately, the problem is that my wife is, due to the lasting effects of multiple stokes unable to remember simple instructions. Most of the methods described here have been tried, but she only has to not use her PC for a day or two that she reverts to what she remembers prior to the last stroke which is the shut-down window.
I vaguely recall being given some instructions to make changes to the registry that change the order of the shut-down drop-down menu so that "shut down" is the default shown, which worked well, until the PC was replaced...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
barky
Grafter

never bother with the drop downs or any menus myself, just press the power/on button to shut down
petlew
Pro

Hi Barky, I really do appreciate your point, I do the same with my laptop. SHMBO has tried them all, lid shut to turn off, power button etc. she remembers them for a couple of days, then I'll notice the next morning that her PC is in "sleep" she has reverted to the shut down window as that is the one imprinted on her mind, and just presses OK without looking what is showing in the drop-down menu. Its just as frustrating for me as it is keeping to have to repeat myself to her almost daily.

hadden
Grafter

This may be the registry setting that you recall:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shutdown Setting = 0
or
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shutdown Setting = 2
petlew
Pro

JohnJ, Yes, I think you may be right...thank you.