Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows home server?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Windows home server?

Anyone tried this? Is it any good?
Just tried a "test" install on my laptop and just like Vista it refused to install without at least half a gig of ram!
Have been running XP pro on my Windows server for years now for all my file and printer sharing. Is there anything extra that Windows home server can offer me or is this just a server operating system for the average man in the street who does not have much knowledge of computers?
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: Windows home server?

Basically all a server gives you is control over users. With it you can restrict what they load what they run etc. Other than that there isnt a lot more it does for a home user except that you could logon to any of the pc and still have all you docs etc.
Unless you want to restrict the kids there isnt a lot of point
seanbranagh
Grafter

I don't have kids yet so don't need to worry about that. I have always had access to my documents on my server from any of my PCs using mapped drives so no change there. Thanks, Will not bother testing Windows home server.
astarsolutions
Grafter

I didn't think Home Server had anything to do with domains.
From what I understood it ran on a monitor less computer and was administered via the web browser and offered file and printer sharing.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I went ahead and installed home server out of curisoty. First of all it is not an operating system but just a load of software bundled on top of Windows server 2003. All the components can actually be uninstlled using add/remove programs leaving you with just Windows Server 2003.
It is basically file sharing and remote access for dummies. It is controlled remotely using a control panel which offers very little options. When you log into the server locally it displays a warning message telling you to use the remote control panel because by playing with settings locally you may 'break Windows Home Server'! This makes it even more patronizing for me than Vista. It does not offer anything that XP cannot do already. All it does is makes file sharing, backing up and remote access available to the masses no matter how computer illeterate. In this sense it is a good thing in the same way as Vista, but if you know anything about computers and have an IQ over 10 stay well away from Home server and Vista!
It does not even offer printer sharing on its simple control panel which I thought would have been obvious!?
Roll on the Linux revolution!
dhookham
Grafter

The point of WHS is that it isn't meant as a server OS for the ubergeek - it's an OS for a closed box system that would just plug into a users network, providing the file server and backup function needed/wanted/avoided by a lot of users because it's "difficult".
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
samuria
Grafter

If you can remove the software and be left with 2003 server it may be useful. Windows vista is built on the Xp kernel but the new sp1/update will be built on the 2003 server kernel.
There are some people  have beat MS to it and built vista on 2003 kernel and it flys more stable etc. If you search for eXperiance mini vista you maybe able to find it.
If you find it its fantastically fast. So it may be worth trying the server as a desktop O/S the only slight problem is some thing may not run on it as some AV and utils need special versions
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Server 2003 as a desktop is a PITA. You spend most of your time disabling stupid defaults (like no hardware acceleration), getting rid of the "I'm scared of the Internet" version of IE, etc.
It's not a very heavy OS I suppose, and it is quite secure, but I'd stick with either XP or a *nix box.
octafish
Grafter

WHS is an extremely simple and effective product to use.  I beta tested it on my ex-XP machine when I bought a new Vista one.  Now I've sold the old box so no longer have it.
It is however meant, as has been said, to be accessed from your existing PC, requiring no monitor or keyboard.  I'm definitely looking to get a low power consumption dedicated WHS server, such as Tranquility's offering.
It's a real gem with some genuinely innovative features.  If you want to know more, rather than listen to the usual ill-informed trollisms I'd suggest you have a look at Paul Thurrot's site, in particular:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_preview.asp
Steve