Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows explorer stops working

morgan2476
Grafter

Windows explorer stops working

Hi Folks 
Every time I try to copy or cut a file I get a message that windows stops working.  The only modification today was that I defrged the drives and updated windows, also i am using a new mouse .  I have win7
I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on the matter
9 REPLIES 9
morgan2476
Grafter

Re: Windows explorer stops working

Hi folks the fault is -
Fault Module Name: QVPSE3.DLL
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I discovered a fault in Windows 7 that I call the cut-and-run bug.  I found it in the release candidate and I still have it in the final current version.
If you use Cut or Copy from the Explorer Organize menu then this will Run certain executable files.  This doesn't happen if you do a right mouse click and select Cut or Copy.
If you start with a fresh install of Windows 7 the problem is not there immediately but it has always manifest for me after a while.  Maybe morgan2476 has found the answer to this problem - if I could understand it!   
morgan2476
Grafter

The problem has disapeard as quickly as it appeared.  I don't know if it is a flaw with win7
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: morgan2476
The only modification today was that I defrged the drives and updated windows, also i am using a new mouse .
I take it when you use the term "the only", your not being sarcastic?  Because Im not sure if you realise this, but updating Windows and defragging the hard drive are probably both in the top 10 major open heart surgery you can do to Windows, and Windows updates *OFTEN* cause weird and wonderful errors, some transient, some not.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: morgan2476
QVPSE3.DLL

Do you have Quick View Plus installed? Make sure that it's up to date (i.e. that you're running a version that is compatible with Windows 7. I don't use this software but I suspect it installs shell extensions and they are the cause of most Explorer crashes.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: fourfourdevon
........... Windows updates *OFTEN* cause weird and wonderful errors, some transient, some not.

Windows updates are often BLAMED for causing weird and wonderful errors but I strongly suspect they stand falsely accused more often than not.  Since Windows updates arrive monthly, there is roughly a one in four chance of any random event happening within about a week of the last Windows update.  If the problem goes away when you uninstall the update then blame the update.   
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Sorry, but as someone who used to do corporate support on Windows for a company with 150 employees, which meant that testing all our various configs before release was more effort than dealing with the problems of the update I became very aware of the Windows Update screw up rate.  I would say of the 150 PC and 20 or so servers, I would say around once per year we would have a incident that meant rebuilding a server install, twice a year we would have 3 or 4 PC needing to be repaired after an update, and 5 or 6 times a year we would have minor issues affecting 30 or more PC's that normally required a little work around or for staff to just adapt and accept the new circumstances.
As a single source of failure/problems, MS update was the most common.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Fourfourdevon, I cannot argue with your personal experience.  Actually those statistics mean that the chances of any one computer needing a repair following a Windows update during its (say six-year) lifetime remain quite low.
One often reads of public-sector departments being struck down with a computer virus and this frequently happens after the release of a Windows update that would have granted them immunity to the virus had it been installed.  See, for example, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/02/gmp_conficker/ ; .  So although you may be damned if you do apply Windows updates, you may also be damned if you don't!   
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Gotta chime in here and offer my experiences too..
I once used to spend hours downloading windows updates over 56k modem years ago. All they seemed to do was make the machine a dud after the 9th or 10th update being installed (in chronological order). That was Win98.
Same thing with WinME.
No better with XP (with the exception of SP2).
I now don't bother at all. It seems pointless to go through all that aggravation only to have to format the drive and start again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!