cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file

Rikaitch
Grafter

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file

I've just got rid of a really rife virus, and now I get this error message with each and every .exe file I try to open. I've checked the permissions, and all seems ok, and I've also started in Safe Mode and it's ok, but I cannot sign in normally. Anybody got any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file

How did you get rid of the virus as it sounds like you have not got rid of it completely.
Try running spybot search & destroy to see if that fixes it.
Rikaitch
Grafter

To be honest, Spybot doesn't completely remove it. It is the second instance I've had this week of a Virtumondo virus, and I have to use an alternative to get rid of the full virus. Afterwards I can only run avg and spybot in safe mode, because I can't open them otherwise.
samuria
Grafter

It sounds as if you have corrupted the profile try logging in with another account if you haven't got try creating one as this will rebuild some of the profile. Try downloading startup cpl from http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
run it if you can and disable everything from startup as you can tick after to re instate it. See if you run ok with nothing in the startup. If it runs ok then add things back slowly. I would also check for disk problem by running from the cmd prompt chkdsk c: /f say yes when it says to run at startup