Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows backup using nfs?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Windows backup using nfs?

I have a nfs NAS server, which I use for backups of my Linux PC's over wireless Smiley
I am saddled with two Windows laptops - one a 32 bit XP thing and the other a 64 bit Windows 7 thing Smiley
Is it:-

• a) possible to download a free windows nfs client

• b) (more difficult) find a method of just backing up user data - I'm not interested in installed software, although user etc settings would be nice.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows backup using nfs?

For user data aka My Documents or indeed any other folder on the hard drive I use SyncToy but I am not sure whether that will work with a NAS server (it certainly works fine over a network)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_Services_for_UNIX any use Jeremy ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

That would sound ideal - except that M$ seem to have made a command line interface a feature - only available if you pay extra for Windows 7.
They also say that it won't be supported in future - http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/its_the_end_of_the_line_for_microsofts_serv...
I should say that ideally I would like to use rsync as wireless gets a bit slow for large files!
Maybe I can try installing Ubuntu via the Windows install lash-up - "Wubi"

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: A
I should say that ideally I would like to use rsync as wireless gets a bit slow for large files!

DeltaCopy might be worth investigating.
VileReynard
Hero

Thanks - I shall give it a bash - it says
"NOTE: If you have an "rsync" daemon running on Linux/Unix/BSD or any other platform, DeltaCopy client will successfully connect to them." Smiley

VileReynard
Hero

DynaSync - not tried as I found a much better solution Smiley
I loaded Ubuntu onto Windows 7 using Wubi - a Windows application (had to use a 32bit version to get web plugins to work properly).
This gave me almost native Ubuntu - essentially just a NTFS file system to go through...
So I could use nfs and rsync as normal.
I used it to backup Windows users Windows user folders Smiley
There was a lot of M$ bloat though.