cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP log on panel appeared on my machine and two others?

Pancho
Grafter

Windows XP log on panel appeared on my machine and two others?

Today, 7th May 2010, the windows Log On panel appeared when I started up. I don't have a password so clicked OK, if that is right, and the system carried on with start up as usual. Where did that come from I thought? I have not installed any updates. I read some information about using the Welcome Screen in the User setup and changed the situation a bit - the panel still appears during start up, which it did not do before. I seem to remember having this happen some time ago but don't remember what I did then but got rid of it completely; now I cannot achieve that.
Within the space of a few hours two friends call me telling me they have got the same problem on their machines both appearing today.
Does anybody also have this problem and know 1) what is going on 2) how to get back to as it was before?
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows XP log on panel appeared on my machine and two others?

This describes a known update that would cause this to happen http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827072 ; .  Maybe an update installed automatically?  My feeling is that it is a lot safer to have automatic updates turned on.  Whenever you hear about, say, government departments being struck down by some well-known virus it is almost always because they have automatic updates turned off and have not installed the update that would have protected them!  Did you reset your computer to its factory settings a while ago so it is re-installing old Windows updates? 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've seen the logon appear after updates, especially .NET Framework.
(and a new user ASP.NET too)
If you don't want it:
Start, run
In the box type (without the quotes) "control userpasswords2"
Untick the box saying "Users must...." and click Apply, you will be prompted for a user name (and password) to log on automatically.
Make sure you spell the user name correctly! And if there's no password leave it blank.
Pancho
Grafter

Well, I am none the wiser. Nobody has installed any updates that might have been the cause - we all have updates set to advise but don't download or install. I have played about with Users and Windows Log On settings but the Windows Log On and Off (saving your settings, etc) still appear rather than what has been the norm for years. (I associate this panel with Windows 2000) Screensaver stuff is fine. As it happened on three machines at the same time it is either something we all downloaded (no Malware found) or something to do with the date. I could try installing a recent, full, backup and see if that clears it from this machine, after saving what I have done since that backup. How tedious this kind of thing is. The alternative is just live with it - get used to it - as it all works fine. It would appear that nobody else has this bother.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Windows can install updates that Microsoft deem to be critical without user intervention, regardless of your download/update settings - that is what most annoys me with the process. There have been several in the past few months.
Sorry, can't help with the issue in hand but thought you would like to know about the automatic updates.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only time I saw this was a .net update where it created a second user account
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Indeed. As I noted in an earlier post.
BUT has the OP made the change I suggested?  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Windows XP can start up in three ways:

• It can take you to the Welcome Screen - where each user ID is displayed with a little picture.

• It can display the "classic" login prompt, which is a little window which shows the name of the last logged-in user but gives no clue as to the other accounts available.

• It can bypass either screen and log you straight into Windows.

Is Pancho seeing item 2, the "classic" login Window?
Pancho
Grafter

I think I have Framework 3.5 – the latest one there is. I over-wrote the machine with a month old backup (C: and D:) and the problem was gone. Downloaded the updates, which had been issued since that backup, one at a time. No problem with any of them. But, would you believe it, a few days later the problem has come back! Yes, I now have the Classic Log On (again), which has self appeared and do not want. Nothing seems to have changed in the start-up settings – I have un-ticked the box for password required so there is no interruption to the start-up. I am the only user and the Guest account is off.
Thank you for giving this some thought. I have no idea what is the cause so will have to live with it and just get on and do the things I do and not worry about it same as the other two people who had the problem at the same time. That is the thing - three people got the same problem as the same time.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im 100% sure it is as oldjim stated in an earlier post, Its to do with the framework, This happened to me and confused me for a bit.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Pancho
That is the thing - three people got the same problem as the same time.

But if I search Google for this problem I cannot find any evidence of large numbers of others experiencing the same problem at this time.  So the common factor may be that these three people all know each other, swap thoughts and ideas and consequently have all done the same wrong thing.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Apart from the .NET framework, there used to be a wireless adaptor that would do this, i.e. knock out the Welcome Screen.  See http://www.francescolanza.com/2007/02/07/xp-welcome-screen-problem-caused-by-netgear-wireless-adapte... .  The problem was fixed in a Netgear software update so it only happens if you install using the disk originally supplied with the adaptor.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes i agree with ReedRichards, Have you installed any software as of late that requires Net.Framework?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Pancho
Grafter

Now have the 'Problem' on another machine on my LAN; just appeared today when starting up. Seems you have to live with it. Clearing the 'Password Required' item (using the control userpasswords2 method) removes the bother of having to click 'OK' as I am the only user and don't have a password. Yes, the people who got the problem at the same time have one thing in common - ME - and I sort out most problems that they have either by email or going to their house. The normal startup screen is gone and fast user switching is gone even though nothing has changed in the setup that can be put back. I don't have any hidden users listed that I can find and have disabled various outside help users that I don't want - did that years ago. If only I knew which file(s) it was that had changed I could get an old one out of a backup. There is no point in installing a backup as the problem just appears again in time and you have all that catching up to do. I don't lose any work as that is all on my NAS box.