cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP future security.

Roberto0151
Grafter

Windows XP future security.

I'm planning to keep my old XP computer purely for emergency use in case my current 8.1 machine dies (as it has once before) and I have to spend much time reinstalling and reloading everything. I have avast free installed and plan to boot up only once a week to update the AV and  Malwarebytes and run programme updaters. I'm also using Firefox and will avoid Internet Explorer like the plague.
I'm hoping this will keep the thing reasonably secure in case I need to use it to ask for help for the other machine.
I am wondering though whether MS will keep windows firewall active after April 8.  Does anyone know this? (I have tried loading Zone alarm firewall but found it was incompatible with Avast)
22 REPLIES 22
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Windows XP future security.

I think windows firewall wil be the least of your worries. Thats a core part of windows so MS won't be hacking your machine to disable it.
What you will have problems with is things like avast. They will end up dropping support for older systems like XP at some point because they can't be bothered with it just like MS.
Despite its very loya following, software vendors will want to move on from older OS's and their limitations at some point. I hate to say it but if you want a back up machine, linux may be your better option (did I really just say that?)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks for reply. I accept that sooner or later I'll have to give up XP but until that point I'll just keep it going. Maybe then I might get a little tablet or something similar with which to stay in touch if need be and which I might be able to tempt SWMBO to play with. (she is congenitally anti anything more technical than switching on a light  Smiley )
I had a look at Linux about a year ago but after downloading and faffing around for some time I felt totally confused by all the jargon and gave up. Sad
redsetter
Grafter

I am keeping it running too,its still used in the nhs.the problem is a lot of computers cannot run the latest windows as its so demanding and its easier to replace the whole pc.at great expense.
there may be security issues or may not,but it still works and does the purpose.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Could your solution lye in a dual booting setup, use Linux for all your on line work and use Windows XP off line so you have the best of both worlds, even better if using XP offline there should be no need to keep up to date with firewalls, anti virus stuff etc.
I use Windows 7 off line and Linux on Line and to date have had no problems, forget the Linux jargon there are adequate icons on the desktop without having to resort to the terminal.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I agree...  ( Dual Boot )... use the XP off line for what you need "windows" progs for.. and go on line for other stuff with Linux...
(although I don`t do that myself, as I prefer just one system running....) I would go the linux route if I could get my "windows" progs  running on Linux Mint ... not all compatible though..
For Basic Surfing... the Basic setup of Linux Mint ( or others, I presume) would be adequate.. and should be no need for using "Terminal" and command messages..
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am hanging on until the last minute - I think Kaspersky will still support it until the 2015 version and then the license will activate up to 2 previous versions
http://support.kaspersky.com/support/support_table#home
So good until about 2017 at least and then to be honest I will probably just get a new computer for my better half and relegate the XP one to off line only for any programmes which won't work on Windows 9
HalfShaft
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

If you're a complete Linux noob you can't go wrong with Ubuntu really, espically the LTS (long term support) versions.  The only reason I say that is for a newbie Googling "how do I x in Ubuntu" will lead to an answer.
I don't like the desktop enviornment in ubuntu but once you are comfortable you can change it to something resembling windows
redsetter
Grafter

its amazing that i have just put a 1gb stick of ram into this on top of the 512mb of ram thats in there,comodo and malwarebytes updates sends it up to nearly 1gb on xp.
I dont think the security is a problem as long as keep off of download sites that aren't 100%,as long as there's anti virus support it will be ok.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The NHS will probably be spending money on "custom support" from Microsoft to keep XP systems going: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/20/doh_microsoft_nhs_one_year_xp_deal/
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first half an hour of each of these videos by "Eli the Computer Guy", have some interesting points about Windows XP security after 8th April, and why you should scrap XP and upgrade to something better like WIndows 7, or Mac, or Linux - and what to do if you can't.
        YouTube - "Windows XP End of Support (Time to get the pillow)"
        YouTube - "Supporting Windows XP Past April 8th 2014"
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks for those links.  This one also is interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7ajYZD8CA
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Roberto0151
Thanks for those links.  This one also is interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7ajYZD8CA

That is so helpful and re-assuring. I do not think there is anything more to say on the subject for the average user.  Thanks indeed, very grateful.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This reports on the length of time Security Products will support XP - as I use Kaspersky that is another 4 years at least
http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/artikel/the-end-is-nigh-for-windows-xp-these-anti-vi...