Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP and Service Pack 2

community
Grafter

Windows XP and Service Pack 2

Hi All
You have seen enough of my problems which have occurred since installing SP2, I am sure. Angry
I am asking myself "why do I need SP2 anyway?"
My answer to myself (they says it's the first sign!) is that I am not reallymissing a lot.
The only one I would like to have back is the IE7, but without it , it's not the end of the world Roll_eyes
So I have re-installed my original SP1 and I am taking no noticeof the million updates it continues to offer , even to ticking the box which says something like "hide these."
I can now carry on enjoying my computer work without living in fear of some tragedy which will surely occur.
Farewell to SP2. Sad Sad Sad Sad
cheers
9 REPLIES 9
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Windows XP and Service Pack 2

No I've not seen your issues with SP2.
I dno't know what they are, or how they happened, but all i can say is i never had any problems with SP2 tbh.
So far, it's a pretty decent OS. I've been using it for about 2.5 years and haven't had a great deal of problems. It's certainly better than the Win9x series.
You can always use linux (if you can get anything to run on it - though support for it is getting better since ubuntu came along).
Generally though I'm rather pleased with XP & SP2 - I certainly wouldn't go back to an earlier system. Admittedly though I NEVER install the updates - not only does it take an age, it also tends to do more damage than it solves.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
community
Grafter

I had XP SP2 running for about two years without any problems.
Then a couple of updates upset the whole applecart!
since then I have tried and tried to get back to normality with occasional success, only to be spoiled by yet another update.
If I could get back to a clean install of XP SP2 as the only O/S it would probably be the answer but I do not have the software. I can only start with SP1 and update.....which brings back all the problems...I know that for a fact to my chagrin Angry

Thanks for your input
cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

SP3 will be out early next year (February is probably a safe bet) so I'd recommend waiting until that's out and then downloading the distributed network install which should include all the updates that have been released on XP so far. That way you can install your XP SP1 and then run the SP3 installer without being connected to the internet. This should mean that you don't have to wait for all the patches to download and install individually, and therefore make things run a lot smoother.
Hope that helps,
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've not really had any problems with SP2, the only thing I found is there is more annoying nags to disable and it's not like there are enough of those already with Windows.
For example the new Security Center (sic) .. nagging about anti-virus and the fact I have auto-updated turned off.
One of the things I cannot stand with XP is balloon tips, so intrusive and full of useless information. No I don't want to take an XP tour, want you to hide inactive icons or tell me that I've sent something to the printer .. I know cos I asked an application to print it Roll_eyes So the registry mod to disable those goes in.
One thing which is worth doing when SP3 comes out is making a copy of your XP disc and doing a slipstream install onto those files and burning a CD back. It's a bit of hassle (you have to mess around with the boot loader otherwise the CD isn't bootable), but nothing too major and I am sure they'll be plenty of guides on the net.
At least then if you have to reinstall Windows, you don't have to worry about installing the service pack afterwards.
community
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
SP3 will be out early next year .......you can install your XP SP1 and then run the SP3 installer without being connected to the internet.

Do you have a direct line to Bill Gates? Wink
Sounds like very good advice to me, thanks .
cheers
community
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
One thing which is worth doing when SP3 comes out is making a copy of your XP disc and doing a slipstream install onto those files and burning a CD back. .....
At least then if you have to reinstall Windows, you don't have to worry about installing the service pack afterwards.

Sounds like good advice also...
Can you explain the process of doing a 'slipstream' please.....
cheers
The_10th
Grafter

'Nlite' is a good program for slipstreaming and the latest edition allows you to leave the installation unattended as you can input the required fields (licence, personalised details etc) as well as modifiying what exactly you want installed, such as not having messenger.
Nice program and does a good job.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Nice one geeeeezer lol
I'm gonna give that one a try sometime...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: community
Sounds like good advice also...
Can you explain the process of doing a 'slipstream' please.....
cheers

Well this is the guide I followed for SP2. I did this before Microsoft released SP2 with Windows on the same CD. I think it was the guide I followed anyway, I don't remember it having that awful highlighed common words advertising at the time.
It might not be the simplest way though, as geezer suggested that tool sounds easier but I've not used it.
I assume it will be a similar process when SP3 comes out.