cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP Prof. update removes option for access to BIOS.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows XP Prof. update removes option for access to BIOS.

I don't know what's gone wrong with getting the graphics card working. Some specs I found for a Geforce 5200 FX PCI graphics card said a 250W power supply was the minimum required, but you might get away with only a 200W power supply anyway.
Clearly it would have been far simpler to get a non-widescreen monitor, you can still buy them online, but a 1280x1024 monitor would probably cost more than a cheap 1920x1080 one.
colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Windows XP Prof. update removes option for access to BIOS.

I know that I have got involved in the bit off topic in (XP not lying down), so here goes.. I have installed the latest driver for the GeeForce card (175 of 2009) and I can see things on its monitor output. It all boots up properly up to the Windows logo with the little dots running across the progress bar but they stop dead before Windows starts up! The display is nice and clear so the card is doing its stuff. What can stop Windows then?
I have the BIOS/Integrated Devices to "Auto", "Onboard" is the only alternative and this works OK with the 810E driver but at a resolution of 800x600 but I want to change this and cannot. The monitors and the cards are all listed in the Hardware listings but no option to look at a second monitor and choose what to use for each display..