Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Vista

Gstar
Dabbler

Windows Vista

Hi
I am looking at upgrading my memory from 2Gb to 6Gb but am running Vista 32 bit. As i understand it the maximum that this operating system will recognise is 3Gb. Is this correct?
If i upgrade to 64 bit to ensure i can get the most from the 6Gb are there any other issues with 64 bit vista. i.e compatbility with games?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Windows Vista

I can confirm the 3GB limit with 32 bit Vista. I have 4GB installed which the BIOS recognises but Vista only sees 3GB.
There are others on the forum who run 64 bit and can advise further.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The memory limit isn't quite as simple as that.
The physical memory limit includes all the memory containing components such as the graphics cards, sound cards, etc.
The other limit is the limit on each process (normally 2GB) - you need to see if the programs you are using will be able to use the memory you are putting in.
Have a read of this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
My guess is that to use the amount of memory you are suggesting the main user process needs to be 64 bit unless you are using Photoshop CS2 or higher where it can use the extra memory as a scratch disk. http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=320005
When you run Photoshop CS2 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a G5, Intel Xeon processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor), and running a 64-bit version of the operating system (Mac OS v10.3 or higher, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition), that has 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3 GB for it's image data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can use in the Maximum Used By Photoshop number when you set the Maximum Used by Photoshop slider in the Memory & Image Cache preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM), filters, actions, etc. If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB (Windows) or 8 GB (Mac OS)), the RAM above 4 GB is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch disk data. Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by Photoshop, is now cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard disk by the operating system. If you are working with files large enough to take advantage of these extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed performance of Photoshop.

Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I have 4GB installed which the BIOS recognises but Vista only sees 3GB.

However since installing SP1 Vista now correctly reports 4MB of Memory.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
paulby
Grafter

This page lists the various maxima for memory recocgnition for MS operating systems.  May be of some use?
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
However since installing SP1 Vista now correctly reports 4MB of Memory.

...and this would explain why.
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) made changes to the way components of the user interface (UI) report memory. For example, some components of the Windows Vista SP1 UI will now report when there is 4 GB