Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Vista really sucks!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Windows Vista really sucks!

Grrr!
I've just got back from getting someone's internet configuration to work.
Big laugh if you like that kind of thing.
Everything was wired up before I started, everything working.
First I had to ring AOL for the user and password for the BT facing side of the router.
user=phone-number@aol.com
password=abc12345
  Grin Grin Grin
After that things got worse.
I "installed" the router.
and had to reboot Grin
Since the AOL browser was crap useless, I tried internet explorer
Horrible!
So I used it to install FireFox  Smiley
I then updated the pre-loaded virus checker.
and had to reboot Grin
Then I stupidly thought to Install Office 2007 (not my idea)
It pretended to install. Didn't create any shortcuts etc.
and had to reboot Grin
So I uninstalled it.
and had to reboot Grin
So I re-installed it - this time it appeared to work.
and had to reboot Grin
Time to load those Windows updates I thought.
Took ages.
and had to reboot Grin
I wanted to change the update time from 3.00 am to 8pm.
But it found another 300MB of updates!
and had to reboot Grin
So I shut it down.
User friendly - not!
Luckily I have mostly Linux at home - which virtually configures itself.
I do have one Windows XP laptop, but I try to avoid that.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

5 REPLIES 5
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Windows Vista really sucks!

I've also encountered the restart problem... on linux!
Windows you'd expect it from but I was shocked to get it from Suse!
XP is ok... still a bit of a pig but better than 9x!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Trebor
Grafter

I've used both Linux, a few different flavours and and a few different flavours of Windows, got to say I prefer Windows, may not like Gatesy's ethos but the system works for me.
Linux is alright if you want your online life to consist of trawling through knowledge bases trying to get various bits of kit to work.
I'll kick the trend and say I like Vista and I like Office 2007.
As for AOL, least said soonest mended with that one  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I quite liked Windows 98 (very unstable though) - I thought it was a bit of a CPU hog at the time.
Then I got XP (on a laptop) and although slow it is relatively stable but it gradually slows down even more over a period of months.
I saw this guys Vista - and I felt sorry for him  Sad Sad
It's really not suitable for the general public - he was offered an "installation service" for £49 - but declined.
If a person of above average intelligence cannot be expected to set up an internet connection then surely it's not ready for release?
Personally I found navigating from the menu to be confused and confusing.
Poor guy didn't know how that to shut it down he had to navigate via the start menu - well you wouldn't would you?
One day perhaps a forum or knowledge base will tell him how to switch it into XP mode.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a long time Microsoft  sufferer via Windows 3, Windows 3.1,  Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Windows NT 3.5, Windows 95, Windows NT4, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME (not on my PC but I had to sort it) and Windows XP I have suffered all the foibles and bugs features and I only went to Vista because I wanted a 64 bit operating system and DX10.
Vista for me has been the best of them all once, and this is important, I got rid of most of the new features and made it look and feel more like XP. I think the most difficult to solve was the feature bug which made Vista think it knew better than me how I wanted my default folder view in Explorer.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
I've also encountered the restart problem... on linux!

The only time you would normally have to reboot a Linux OS is when you upgrade the kernel.  Otherwise, you may have to log off/on a user if you change their profile, or passwd, and perhaps restart Xorg if you modify the settings.  That's all.
WinXP after years of updates has become relatively stable (or most of us got used to its quirks).
On the other hand, I find Office 2007 a royal pain.  For some reason MS thought that users should start thinking like design engineers, decomposing their system and functional requirements every time they want to achieve something and then start innovating!  Are these guys real?!  Angry
Let me explain.  When I want to eat some bread I do not think "slice, slicing function" etc. but think directly "knife".  After decades of using a knife to slice bread there is no innovating or indirect thinking involving problem solving.  I go straight for the kill - bread knife.  Similarly, when I work in MSWord I do not think "Insert table", but think directly "table".  Well, Redmond now wants me to rearrange my brain to perform two conceptual steps to achieve what previously would only take me one step.  AArrrrgh!