Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows Update

My wife's PC this morning begun an automatic 450+Mb download, the title is not specified, only that it is an important update. My wife's PC runs Vista Home Basic (the download is still going on as I write this) my two computers both run Vista Home Premium, but are not recieving any updates (not of that size anyway) could this be the long awaited SP1 appearing for just the Home Basic?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES 24
HPsauce
Pro

Re: Windows Update

That sounds too big for the Windows Update version.  Sad
petlew
Pro

It seems it WAS indeed the SP1 update. Exactly why it reported 450+Mb at the point I looked at it I'm unsure about, as it seems it is now reporting around 70Mb.
In my defence, my wife's laptop doesn't get updated too often, so perhaps there was a backlog.
So the process has started it seems for us lesser mortals with sub 64bit systems.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
God
Grafter

As I understand it the SP1 update looks at your machine and only downloads what you need which varies from PC to PC, so I guess the update system isn't geared to tell you how much of the subset it is supplying and just reports the size of the complete file.
petlew
Pro

Aye God, I suspect you are correct. From memory, and I admit not taking an awful lot of notice at the time, the file size was showing as -450ishMb So a conclusion from what you say is that it was selective to the actual size downloaded, thus ending at around 70ish Mb. I is though still (somewhat slowly) installing. But it wasn't watched continuously throughout the process, and required at least two user inputs to continue.

Not applicable

SP1 on my own computer (Vista Home Basic) was nowhere near this size - I think it came in at 66 MB or thereabouts. However, it is fully updated each month.
God
Grafter

That is correct, the size of that stand alone SP1 is 434.5mb
samuria
Grafter

If you have more than one pc its worth downloading the full sp1 and then applying it to all the pc's before you get updates. If you dont you are downloading 3 sp1's.
Getting the full sp1 is also handy if you have to rebuild a pc as you can quickly put sp1 one on again. It does seem the MS have missed putting help files in some sp1
petlew
Pro

Odder still, I have the Vista SP1 available on my Home Premium desktop (although I've not got round to downloading yet) but not yet available on my Home Premium laptop.

HPsauce
Pro

Not on my desktop yet; I'm guessing down to drivers....
petlew
Pro

So, what's going on ere! I checked Widows Updates on my desktop Monday morning, and found the Vista SP1 update available at around 68Mb. For time constraint reasons I decided not to download it at that point. Checked my laptop later on, but the update wasn't available for it (and added the post 08/04)
I returned to the desktop this morning, with the sole intention of getting the SP1 update done, and found to my surprise that it was no longer showing as available.
I checked recent updates just to check if it had downloaded at some other time (it hadn't) and properties in "my computer" to see if SP1 had been installed (it hasn't)
Uhmm??? 

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Does this help at all?
The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x86 is 65 MB (compared to 450 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).
The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x64 is 125 MB (compared to 745 MB from the Microsoft Download Center
petlew
Pro

No not really Bob, My last point was that the update was available on Monday morning, but has now disappeared.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

I find that Vista SP1 was downloaded and installed on my laptop, running Home premium on 01/04/08.
I don't know if this any more helpful than before.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/
I apologise if I'm wasting your time.
God
Grafter

I woke up to another 180mb of updates today, was it about to try and patch my Vista SP1 with erm... Vista SP1 I wondered?
Then I noticed that SP1 was for Office 2007, it never rains but it pours eh? Now if we could just have XP SP3 it would be like a fleet of London buses.