Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update - Cannot connect to the Update service

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Windows Update - Cannot connect to the Update service

Seems a bit odd.  I cannot update my computer(s).  This topic seems quite popular on Google, but none of the fixes make any difference.  I have tried them all like sfc /scannow and various others.

I have also downloaded the latest "Windows Update Troubleshooter" from Microsoft (wu10 dia.cab) but that reports "No errors detected".

I have two other computers. Both are up to date, Windows Update last accessed 29.01.2019.  But I cannot access Windows Update server now on either of them.

Is it me, or could it be that Microsoft servers are genuinely down ?

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Windows Update - Cannot connect to the Update service

Fix

I saw something that said changing your DNS to Googles DNS (temporarily) would fix this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

anthonyw
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I am having the same problem and have not been able to update my computers since 29th Jan.  There are 17 pages of discussion about this on the BT forum with the last post I saw saying the issue had been resolved.  However, not for me. I have just tried to install and still cannot do it.  The problem seems to be with Microsoft and is effecting some providers.

shermans
Pro

Well, yes it seems that it does !  At least, I have got as far as  "You're up todate.  Last checked: Today 09:41."  Thanks for the tip.

Can I leave the Google DNS as the default or should I revert back to "Obtain DNS automatically" ?  Is it safe as it is public ?

I have to say that the connection speed does seem faster that the Plusnet default, but it may be coincidence.

shermans
Pro

Definitely works.  My third machine is actually in the process of updating from 1709 (I had not used it at all for nearly a year !) to 1803.  Thank you so much for the fix.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

An update is at https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-update-problems-fixed-now-but-heres-what-went-wrong-says-micro...

ZDnet was the original source of my information.

It's perfectly OK to use Google's DNS permanently or to use a mix of Google & Plusnet.

I find 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 are slightly faster than both.

See https://blog.cloudflare.com/dns-resolver-1-1-1-1/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shermans wrote: in the process of updating from 1709 (I had not used it at all for nearly a year !) to 1803.

One of the laptops had a revolving failure to update to 1803. Seems it's about 5Gb in size. It would download it, go to install and then get rolled back. Did get there but only by downloading and using the 'Windows 10 Update Assistant'. Once loaded, it promptly flagged up that 1709 was out of date and version 1809 should be downloaded, bypassing 1803 entirely. Job done, eventually.

I applied much the same to my own laptop and it told me that my 1803 version was already out of date (downloaded only that same day!!! What gives.) and promptly downloaded version 1809. I will continue to use the Assistant, as it seems to be a bit better than the flaky updater supplied with Windows 10. Lucky we're unlimited too!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?