cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows System Restore

buddy

Windows System Restore

I have installed Norton Security 2010 on XP and afterwards have been unable to use System Restore.  I notice that a while ago the same problem was posted and going into safe mode was a suggested solution.  I put a query to Norton & their solution was to reinstall which as far as I could see would do nothing!  However searching the Microsoft forums I found this:-
Norton 2009 product
Start your Norton product
In the Computer pane, click Settings
Click Miscellaneous Settings
Under Product Security, next to Norton Product Tamper Protection click the status indicator to turn it OFF
In the Settings window, click Apply
Click OK
Run Windows System Restore
Start your Norton product
In the Computer pane, click Settings
Click Miscellaneous Settings
Under Product Security, next to Norton Product Tamper Protection click the status indicator to turn it ON
In the Settings window, click Apply
Click OK
I have tried this & it also works with NIS 2010.  When you turn-off the Tamper Protection you can enter a time-out or leave the default.  The snag is that when you want to go back to turn it back on it appears to lock you out of settings until the time-out you set has expired.  Apart from that it appears to work OK - fingers crossed!
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows System Restore

Yes, Buddy, Norton and some other security software will block System Restore from working.  You can get around this by:

• Fiddling with an obscure setting as you describe

• Starting System Restore from Safe Mode

• In Vista or 7, running System Restore from Satartup Repair

Once you have managed to do accomplish the System Restore then Norton (or some other security software) will complain that it is all out of kilter and have to repair itself!
buddy

Re: Windows System Restore

I've just received this solution from Norton which is the 'Official' confirmation of the 'turn-off' / 'turn-on' approach I mentioned.  The only thing is that when I did it I then had a report that there was a problem 'SONAR' in Norton, I clicked 'fix' and it reported that it had failed.  So, I then did a shut-down & restart then it was OK.  I am now toying with the idea of turning the tamper off full stop as I am the only person using the PC and therefore I feel that System Restore is of more use to me than the anti-tamper function.  It's another case of something being too clever for it's own good!!!!
SOLUTION
http://www.symantec.com:80/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_ci...