cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2008 Networking Issues

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Windows Server 2008 Networking Issues

It's been a long time since I've been round these parts! But, I know there's a fair few smart ones on here, so thought I'd pop on here first for a bit of a brainstorm.
First off, I'm going insane with this. So much so, that I'm trying to refrain from swearing on this lovely board. Here's the setup.
WAN IP: 217.36.xxx.xxx
Router IP: 217.36.xxx.yyy
LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
Server 2008 with two integrated NICs, DHCP configured to dish out in the 192.168.0.3-254 range, with 192.168.0.2 being a Wireless Access Point.
The server can access the Internet, the client can ping the DHCP server (192.168.0.1) and is receiving a DHCP lease.
The client can't access the Internet, can't ping LAN1 on the router but can ping LAN2 (LAN1: WAN, LAN2: DHCP LAN).
I've been out the game for a bit too long when it comes to infrastructure and I'm 100% sure that it's something insanely daft that I've misconfigured, but anyone out there fancy giving me a hand with the configuration required? All I need is:
WAN - Interface1(Server subnet 217) - Interface2(Server subnet 192) - LAN
Please save me from pulling out my hair, I've not got much left!
Mike
4 REPLIES 4
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Windows Server 2008 Networking Issues

My first guess, It sounds like the DHCP server isn't assigning the correct gateway IP to the clients.
This could occur if there is more than one active DHCP server and the settings are coming from the wrong one!
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Slowly getting somewhere with it...slowly.
It's the only DHCP server on the network, and it was giving out the correct leasing. I've now got it working using RRAS and NAT when the client is on a static IP, however for some reason the client now isn't receiving a DHCP lease, yet I can ping the DHCP when on the static client. It could be my WAP struggling to act as a DHCP Relay, but I haven't as yet tried over Ethernet (going to check that in a few mins).
The plot thickens.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just a bit of reading here http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26967
I've installed and configured W2000 server but from 2003 onwards MS made life more difficult Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Thanks, I had a look but it doesn't quite relate to the situation. However, I've now got the DHCP leasing as it should. For some reason, the DHCP server role decided to bind to the wrong interface, so it was binding to the WAN port rather than LAN.
All is now working, other than a faulty Wireless Access Point.
On the home stretch! Smiley