Fixes: 2

Re: Windows Phone Apps....

you can uninstall her if she's not for you  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks.... how do I do that... I have tried to delete all games, by direct connection  to my laptop, and "viewing" files and folders... any advice on "uninstalling" ANYTHING on the phone would be useful...  Wink
nanotm
Pro

this might be the best place for you to start http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8
pretty sure you can actually change the way the phone works through settings but I like the default settings and generally hold the phone by the case so I tend not to have the problems your experiencing with inadvertently pressing one of the buttons
but if you still stuck with Cortana and really don't want it you can hit the search button on the bottom of the screen to open Cortana, hit the 3 horizontal bars icon on the top right of the screen, tap settings at the bottom of the list, move the first slider to off,
for those that want to change cortana's voice, hi speech settings and then you can change the nationality (data downloads apply) and swap between female and male, that will give you a choice of 3 English speakers Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the linky.... and the tips... much appreciated.... really getting into this "21st century kinda guy" lifestyle ! ! !  Cheesy
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nanotm
for those that want to change cortana's voice, hi speech settings and then you can change the nationality (data downloads apply) and swap between female and male, that will give you a choice of 3 English speakers Smiley

Thanks - rather limited choice  -  British, American or Indian...
nanotm
Pro

well for some reason I have it set to UK English female and yet I have the same voice as the halo series, not sure if the other settings choices have anything to do with it but she started off sounding like some stuck up toffy nosed bint and after a few training joke questions she switched to the halo voice, probably because I asked her half a dozen questions about halo stuff  Wink
drj
Aspiring Pro

Turned out to be rather involved. I downloaded the American English version but the phone then had to do a Phone Update in order for the new language to be installed "Additional Language Support" - took many minutes to download, install and reboot - I should think nearly half an hour - certainly over 15 minutes...
Pointless exercise it seems - I switched to American and mail - and got an American male - but Cortana disappeared! I was back to Bing voice search. So I've reset to UK and Female and Cortana's reappeared...
matthews
Rising Star

Can thoroughly recommend Windows Phone Book by Paul Thurrott. Pretty much the missing manual guide.
As for apps, these are the ones I use and would recommend:
Book an appointment to give blood
Find areas you can park in
Let people know when you're on your way
BBC, ITV, Channel4, and Channel 5
Finger painting!  (and why not)
Car Fuel Tracker
Lightweight train departure boards
Public transport planner
Name that tune
Remote control your computer
An alternative to HERE maps Owned by Google, but was bought by them rather than developed by them
Aspiring Pro

I looked into installing Wase about two months ago but teh reviews were awful. Seemingly it rates about 3.5/5 at teh Windows Phone site but all the visible reviews except one are one star...