Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone Apps....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows Phone Apps....

Just getting to grips with my new Windows 8.1 phone.... ( now I am truly a "21st Century kinda guy! "  )  Cheesy
Taking me ages to find out how to do things,...managed to get my music vids onto the sd card.... then couldn`t find them to play them.... took ages again... found out it was easy when I installed "Files"... like windows explorer......  now, .... seriously... wouldn`t you expect that to have been included with the original O.S. setup? 
so now,... I`m interested in knowing, what other.... NON GAME type apps, or , to put it another way..... USEFUL apps you have downloaded....
what they do, and how well they do it, would be useful to know, too.....
so far, I have got Files... as mentioned..... and
Google Maps mobile........
Traffic... ( just trying to find out what that actually does.... hoping its similar to Tom Tom`s "live traffic"...).. and 
Flightrada24... just because I`m interested in Air Traffic Control.. .. and have it on my laptop(s)....
24 REPLIES 24
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows Phone Apps....

Why do you need Google maps on a Windows phone?
You can download offline maps for the inbuilt Microsoft mapping & navigation.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have a look at HERE, might be installed already.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

here is windows phone apps , sorry Mcbiker your link didnt work
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It Wasn't a link, HERE is an app 😉 Navigation from Nokia.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Ahhh  Wink  my bad  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

HERE is no longer Nokia...
I have 247 apps on my Nokia 920 - would take too long to list them out. I've never paid for an app so my experience is limited to free ones.
"Here Drive+" seems to be the best navigation programme - and downloading maps means less data usage. I used mine fine in Texas on a three-week holiday this year.
I play music using the preinstalled "Music" app - seems a logical thing to do.
"OneDrive" integration is good and there's now an official "Dropbox" app too.
MSN "Weather" is good and you can get it displaying on your lock screen which is useful
I use "Whatsapp" quite a lot
"Run the Map" works well.
"iPlayer" of course
Any specific subject areas you'd like info on?
drj
Aspiring Pro

In terms of browsers, Internet Explorer works quite well on a Windows Phone - and I haven't found another browser that doesn't constantly crash out. I've tried Surfy, UC Browser and latterly Opera mini, but all are delicate. Firefox and Chrome are not available.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I do really like the close interaction between my phone and my computer. I've transferred all my contacts to OneDrive/Outlook People and the integration is seamless. Change on either phone or computer and they automatically synchronise. The only thing that doesn't transfer is photos of contracts from phone to computer. I often find it's easier to update contacts on the computer than the phone. Also all photos taken get automatically uploaded to OneDrive and are available instantly on other devices (barring if you have wifi-only uploading turned on)
drj
Aspiring Pro

However the implementation of Microsoft Office programs, Word, Excel and Powerpoint, is hopeless. It's virtually unusable to edit Word and Excel documents owing to severely limited functionality.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... thanks for those replies..... HERE doesn`t seem, at first sight of the title, to infer anything about maps, except, perhaps a message coming up saying.... "you are here, outside Tesco` s"... so I never bothered looking at it !  ! ! ...  Huh and being used to "google maps" I just thought it might be useful to have on the phone...  it`s not as user friendly, as on the laptop though... so will have a play with the two versions of HERE and HERE+. to see what they do..
Music vids play well on the currently installed player... ( whatever that is ! ).. so not looking for anything on that
One Drive, may be something I shall have a look at, too,... as often I have wanted, (not desperately) to have a pic from my home laptop, on my remote/portable laptop, when out and about...  there is a weather app on the phone ... so don`t think I`ll bother with another...usually check it out, the night before, for the next day on the home laptop.. and I`ll know if it`s raining when the wipers work ! ! ! ..
I doubt I shall be watching anyTV on my phone... don`t watch much at home...... !
Whatsapp, and Run the map, I don`t know about so, again, I shall investigate them...
Wasn`t looking for anything specific, just wanted to know what "practical" apps people had on their phones that they found useful,.. Games on the phone will not be of any interest to me.....so I just wish I could get rid of them all, and use the space for something else...

PowerLee
Pro

Being a Windows phone you can ( should be able to ) uninstall everything you don't want that isn't system critical.
With One drive, Microsoft occasionally run promotions where you can gain extra free cloud storage space just by say backing up your photo reel on the phone to your One drive.
I've currently got 130 GB of One drive storage space that hasn't cost me anything via different Microsoft free promotions.
nanotm
Pro

I got all the free Lumia apps from the store page (handily listed under categories >Lumia Collection) I also use Cortana a lot, she's fab (kept the USA female version when it moved from opt in trial to 8.1 rolled out) its still in beta so there are some problems but I found comparing with Siri Cortana got the right answer more often, and managed to do what was required more often rather than giving some sarcastic retort about cant be bothered to do that right now.....

I found that on both the 1020 and the 930 It was easier when navigating web pages to tap on things using one of those freebie capacitive stylus's you get with many of the cases or screen protectors since my fat fingers would often hit the wrong thing whilst trying to resize the screen Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Pro

That's the only thing that annoys me about Cortana in the UK, being stuck with the posh totty voice that Microsoft use for UK region!
Cortana should be voiced by Jen Taylor, it cant be that hard to make a US / UK English speaking Cortana voice pack.
shutter
Community Veteran

Cortana really annoys me, because the button is on the bottom right hand corner of the phone case... and I keep using that corner to hold the phone, so up comes up Cortana, every time, and I don`t want it... I don`t t hink sticking some gaffa tape over it will stop it,....... will it ? ? ?  Huh