Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8 - GDR3 - Nokia Beamer not available

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Windows Phone 8 - GDR3 - Nokia Beamer not available

My Nokia Lumia 920 (sim-free version) upgraded to Nokia Lumia Black OS yesterday = Windows Phone 8 GDR3.
One of the features of this update is the availability of Nokia Beamer - but my phone is reporting I can't download it - "This app is not available for your device - This might be because your phone needs to be updated, the app is exclusive to a different mobile provider, or the app is not available in your country/region." None of these is logically a reason.
PC link to the program - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/nokia-beamer/b5511af6-cbd0-4945-9bf6-30cf0582043f
It's supposed to be capable of running on WP8/GDR3 phones with at least 1GB RAM. My phone has 1GB RAM.
Info at http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126472-nokia-lumia-black-update-here-s-what-your-phone-can-do-now re the update:
Nokia Beamer is a cool app that lets you remotely share your device display with another internet-connected device. It's not a live video feed, but a still screenshot, so you remain in control of what you're showing. There are two sharing modes, it will either auto update, or update when you shake your phone.
It's really easy to set-up. You just have to run the app and select the type of sharing you're going to do (local or remote). If it's local, you can scan a QR code from beam.nokia.com. As the sharing is done via a browser, anything you have that will navigate the internet will display content from Beamer - that could be a tablet, games console, PC or smart TV.
Then, when you shake your Lumia (or have it auto update), it updates what is displayed in the beam window at the receiving end. Once you have a URL, you can share that with friends or family for a remote sharing session. It's ideal for showing photo collections or giving adhoc presentations, regardless of the location of the viewer.

It's not possibly to try a manual sideload via SD card since the phone doesn't take one. I've found other reports on the internet of people not getting it on a Nokia 920 but no definitive explanation as to why. Is it possibly not available in the UK (though that appears to be a UK page I've linked to above)?
Anyone else here with a Nokia 920? All other upgrades that come with Lumia Black appear to be there and working - "App Folder" is useful for the numerous cameras I've downloaded for instance, "Driving Mode" is there, and the eagerly awaited ability to close individual apps is working fine!
6 REPLIES 6
drj
Aspiring Pro

Re: Windows Phone 8 - GDR3 - Nokia Beamer not available

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/10/29/share-everything-nokia-beamer/ reports it's able to run on a 920 - but several other 920 owners have reported the problem there - as have I now.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Hi
It downloaded and installed without issue on both my 920 925 (work phone) and my 1020, both on O2.  Just tried it to use it on the 920 925, and it appearsto be working fine (though quite slow!)
Edit: Sorry, my mistake.  It's a 925, not the 920.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro

Pity! I read the email notification and got excited! Quite a few differences between 920 and 925.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I've found a detailed article published today outlining this very problem - actually on an 820 but noting it affects 920 too.
Refer to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/15/nokia_lumia_black_update_update_fail/
Ignore the first part about installation problems - the relevant bit's about Nokia Beamer's at the bottom. Fortunately my update went through without a hitch.
EDIT - now read through 42 comments - several others with a Beamer no-show but no solutions at present. Looks like Nokia needs to tweak a setting at the store I'd suggest.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Sorted - I was in the Windows Store this evening and Nokia Beamer was in the main listing - it wasn't previously. I clicked on it and it installed without a problem. SOLVED !!!
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Great.  Glad you got it sorted.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.