cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Movie Maker

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Windows Movie Maker

I make short movies on my camera then download them to my pc, and finally e-mail them to a friend who lives along way away. The movies are downloaded onto my pc as avi files, which are too big to e-mail so I use Windows Movie Maker to convert them to wmv format. However, if the avi file is greater than about 50MB, copying it to Windows Movie Maker causes the copy to split into two files.
Is there any way to stop this spli happening? If I have to put up with the split, can WMM recombine them?
Thanks for your help
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Windows Movie Maker

I have used WMM a fair bit to "save" some old Digital-8 (and earlier) videos; these "arrive" as AVI files.
All are massive multi-GB files and I've never seen that problem.
I've converted about 50 hours in total to DVD's with only minor niggles along the way.
What version of WMM are you using and on what version of Windows?
Also, how do you import them, I have always done so directly from the camera (mine is/was tape not memory card) over a firewire lead in "real time"?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Download and install GOM player.... it is better than Windows Media Player. and plays loads and loads of different formats...
Also Download aTubeCatcher..... this has an excellent file conversion set to change AVI files into any other format including Iphones and stuff.
another converter I use is Any VIdeo Converter.....
All of them are FREEEEE....  Cheesy
penneck
Aspiring Pro

The WMM  version is 5.1. My OS is XP and as up-to-date as it can be.
I have recently downloaded GOM so am new to it. I have been using it to watch mp4 files. I didn't realise it could convert file types. I shall investigate.
Thanks for your help
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

GOM player has a vast menu system, and you can do all sorts of things with it.... adjust the shape and size of the screen, music graphic equalizer, grab screenshots..... just click on "preferences" below main screen.... click on the set of lines ... bottom right corner, and fill up with drag and drop, to have a playlist... right click on the playlist and save playlist will appear.
However... I don`t think it will convert files.... I suggested    "aTubeCatcher" for that.... it is a "tab" on the top middle of the pane... and then you choose which format you want and where to save them.  You can also create / burn your own DVD , Blue Ray, or audio CD....
Quite a lot of powerful stuff    and it is all  FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! ! ! ....
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou shutter. I misread your earlier e-mail, and thought you wrote that GOM did the file conversions. My mistake.
I have sort of found a solution to the splitting of large avi files. Having copied the avi file to WMM, resulting in two files, I drag the first to the Time Line, then drag the second to immediately after the first on the Time Line. I then save the result, and hey presto, a wmm file which combines the two parts, is much smaller than the avi file, and you can't see the join.
Thanks for all the help