Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Movie Maker Alternative

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Windows Movie Maker Alternative

On my pc which upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 then 10, I still have Movie Maker, but it is in the conservatory which is far too hot. On my new lappy, W10 was installed from the beginning, thus no WMM Angry I have looked online at all the ways to make WMM compatible with W10, but none work for me. I don't edit videos very often and the Microsoft offering did all I needed. I am trying to find something similar, but am drawing a blank. 

Any suggestions at all please?

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Windows Movie Maker Alternative

I personally use Final Cut Pro although that’d mean you’d need to invest in a Mac (Assuming you don’t have one already). For Windows there’s Adobe Premiere Pro although as far as I’m aware it doesn’t come cheap.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Marksfish  If you just want to chop up bits of a video.... and save them .... Have a look at AVIDEMUX  its FREE... and simple to use.

You can then use Any Video Converter, to change the format, AND join all those bits back into one video. ( there is a little thing at the bottom of the screen that you need to tick  " join all "  or something... (been a while since I used it ) .. but it works well..

Mav
Fixes: 515

For windows the best NLE editor is Vegas Pro but that sounds like overkill for your needs.

Of the free editors Lightworks gets good reviews. There's also HitFilm Express. There are others listed here but a lot depends on your level of experience and what you want to achieve with the end product.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Persistence won over Smiley. I found a good download of Windows Essentials and tried to install Movie Maker, it failed Angry. I tried again and ran the programme in compatibility mode for Win 8 and it installed and works Thumbs_Up