Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Media Player replacement

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Windows Media Player replacement

As I do a lot of travelling, I have a large collection of music on my iPad. I tend to like 'older' artistes/albums, so buy them in CD format, and use WMP to convert them to MP3.

Unfortunately, M$ have withdrawn the ability to use their music database from W7 users, so although I can still use it for converting, I would have to manually input album/artiste/track data. I can do that, but it is a right royal pain.

My question is: Is there any software out there (as simple to use as WMP), or has anyone any suggestion? I tend to buy discs in batches, convert and then resell, so, for instance, I currently have 12 CDs waiting for conversion, with the possibility of another 5 arriving in the next week, and would love to sort them before I go away over Xmas.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

John
31 REPLIES 31
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Windows Media Player replacement

I may be wrong but I think iTunes has the functionality to obtain track names of a ripped CD. Although it will also convert the file type to AAC but you could easily convert it back with NHC switch or WMP. If the albums are going on the iPad anyway, I can't see AAC being an issue for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
jab1
Legend

Thanks for the suggestion, @Jubby , but I find iTunes a real dogs dinner to use, and don't want to spend ages doing the conversion, having extra steps in the operation.

I will add that I have tried two or three stand-alone converters, but they are unbelievably slow. I may have to go down the route of installing another music player (VLC/Foobar/MusicBee/Medimonkey), all of which I have looked at in some detail, but they don't appear as easy as WMP. That may just be me though.😁

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I suggest dBpoweramp it's available on Windows and iMac as it is well worth the money. I use it myself to rip my CDs to my NAS in FLAC format and I've no issues with the speed of it.

jab1
Legend

@Anonymous 

Another one for me to have a look at.😁 Thanks.

Can I just ask - does it get media info (album/track details) automatically, as that is where WMP now fails.

Edit: Just had a quick look, and yes, it does.😁 Next question, as this seems my best option so far - how much?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on your needs as they offer other software as well but the Ripper Reference R16 is £31 for Apple or Mac or you can buy a bundle for both OSes with 5 installs for £69

You can see the pricing here: https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/store_combi.aspx?c=2

jab1
Legend

Thanks, definitely looking interesting.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

@jab1 

Have you looked at Ashampoo Music Studio?  https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1530/multimedia-software/Ashampoo-Music-Studio-2019

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Baldrick1 Another distinct possibility (and it's free 😁)

Many years ago,  I used a couple of their programs, but then found better replacements. IIRC, this was in the early days of having a PC and although they worked, I found them a bit cumbersome. No doubt the current offerings are more polished.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jab1 

I must confess to wondering whether the 'free' bit is time limited, but at least it allows you to try it. I use a few of their programs and find that if you hold out on the free trial bit the price tumbles. I recently got their pdf editor and it works a treat. If you have a large downloaded manual like my car handbook the Edit/Find command is brilliant at finding topics.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Baldrick1 . As I said, it's a long time since I used any Ashampoo program, and they are no doubt much better these days. I'll have a read up on this one and see what I think - already downloaded it.

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 

MusicStudio 2019 is FREE, but no doubt I'll be bombarded with offers for their paid products - not a problem as I only ever install programs I need, and it's easy enough to delete an email.

@Anonymous 

I'll keep your suggestion in mind, but as Yorkshireman born, dragged up and still living here, a free program is always nice. If the one from @Baldrick1 doesn't meet my needs.I'll bite the bullet.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really what works for you @jab1 if there's a free and functional option then why not go with it.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 

MediaMonkey might be worth having a look at too.  AFAIK the free version does everything you've mentioned in the thread and you only need to pay for the Gold version if you want the extra bells and whistles. Comparison of Free and Gold here.

jab1
Legend

Looked at that, @RobPN , but you are limited to 30 MP3 encodings - not quite enough for me as I have a long list of discs I would like to get and convert, but I have downloaded the installer. Just depends on the price whether I go for that or @Anonymous's suggestion if Ashampoo doesn't do it for me.

John