Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Media Player - A Bug ?

matt_2k34
Grafter

Windows Media Player - A Bug ?

Hey all
Got a reallllllllly annoying "feature?" of WMP... Playback pauses when i plug/unplug a USB device...
Just updated my iphone, which means the usb is (un)plugged several times... makes watching video playback rather annoying!
(and no, i dont want to change player, so dont suggest that ...)
I love WMP, other than this!! Smiley
Running windows 7 x64...
Any suggestions very very welcome!
(i believe it does it when you insert a dvd too, but i do it so rarely and i dont currently have one to hand..)
Regards
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Windows Media Player - A Bug ?

Sounds like it's stopping whatever it's doing to scan the USB device or DVD for media, tbh. Therefore it's working as designed. But, you don't want to switch players so...
Anyhoo, looks like someone sorted it here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/win-media-player-stops-worki...
Second reply seems to nail it.
Hope that helps Wink
matt_2k34
Grafter

Cheers Matt
The googling just suggested i "press play" again, rather infuriating.  Huh
i quite like WMP - whats the point in installing more media players ? windows has one..  Wink
Im annoyed enough that you need a secondary player for blu-ray...  Roll_eyes
I'll give it a try later (dont have usb to hand currently!)

Regards
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I quite like WMP.... however it does not support the MP4 or MP5 files..... so I have installed GOM player.... which is excellent... and will play about 99 % of all types of media files.
Yes, it does have a "graphic equalizer", and a Playlist setup too...
matt_2k34
Grafter

I quite like WMP.... however it does not support the MP4 or MP5 files

With a codec pack it does ?  Huh
And ive set the 'service' to disabled, (even tho it wasnt running anyway) and (after finding that it wasnt running) it doesnt disable the "pause" on usb insert.
I know its a 'feature' that its looking for content, i just what it to hush and do as its told  Wink
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

FINE. You win.
I'm getting to the point where im so annoyed, i dont care if i swap player Tongue
Does GOM Literally play the "entire" video without interface? like WMP does.. i like the overlay'd buttons, which then hide to reveal the video... as it lets me make (very small) videos to be played in the background (e.g. if im playing Football Manager in a window :D)
Regards

Edit:
Whilst ive got a 'skin' which shows GOM to look like WMP... the buttons dont auto hide! which means ive got 2cm+ of screen space wasted under the video at all times! ANNOYING  Angry
Suggestions? Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

VLC.
ETA: Or media player classic. That tends to play well with codec packs if you need them. I prefer VLC though, because it comes with all that built in (plus it'll play iso's without them having to be mounted).
matt_2k34
Grafter

Cheers Matt, BUT
Both players have their buttons "under" the video window (whereas WMP keeps it neat inside the video window which then hides...)
WMP still my favourite  Huh
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, I thought you meant when you were playing in full screen mode. If that's your beef, check out skins for VLC - surely there'll be one there that has pop-out buttons. Never looked myself as it doesn't bother me, though now you've started me thinking about it...
matt_2k34
Grafter

Even with the skin, the buttons are solid (and nasty) Sad also VLC's minimum window size is *much* bigger than WMP/GOM.
Crazy im starting to feel a little picky  Roll_eyes
Regards
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Cheers Matt, BUT
Both players have their buttons "under" the video window (whereas WMP keeps it neat inside the video window which then hides...)
WMP still my favourite  Huh
Regards

GOM player.... right click on the bottom tools.... and then select "Full Screen"..... all disappear until you "mouseover" the area....
matt_2k34
Grafter

Yeah, but i want it to do that when its not fullscreen too shutter. (which VLC/GOM cant do, which WMP does)
Nevermind Sad ill just have to not watch stuff when i update my phone Sad
Regards