cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live & Firewall rules

atbs1
Grafter

Windows Live & Firewall rules

We have 3 Pc's all running Windows Live. We have had problems getting WL to connect and were getting error messages that, eventually, indicated that our firewall was the problem.  The connection for the 3 Pc's is a Netgear DG834N. 
Our settings within the firewall have NEVER been modified before today.  We always have Outbound completely open and Inbound set to the default rule (block everything) 
Now I have created a new Inbound rule (which I am not happy with, because I "feel exposed"!!) and that has allowed Windows Live to fully connect.  So the question is have I allowed too much to be open?  Please see the attached pic. of the firewall rules. Comments will be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Windows Live & Firewall rules

There shouldn't be any need to open your router firewall for windows live, have you tried lowering your MTU on your router to 1430 instead?
That may help with some MS stuff.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
atbs1
Grafter

TO @ aidewoo: Many thanks for your suggestion.  I removed my Inbound rule completely and set the WAN MTU setting down from fourteen fifty eight to  1430 as you suggested. Re-connected W.Live and Voila! Thank you.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Glad it's sorted for you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'