cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live Mail receives emails but wont send any

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Windows Live Mail receives emails but wont send any

My wife's laptop has Windows Live Mail on it. I've never used that so its a bit of a black art to me. I use Mozilla Thunderbird but I would have expected them to be similar in all but appearance. Her laptop receives emails but wont send them. Apparently this situation has existed for about 3 years but she has only just told me. We both use Mailwasher, but I cannot see a problem with that. We have mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net in the correct places

Any assistance to solve this would be gratefully received.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows Live Mail receives emails but wont send any

• relay.plus.net

is correct.

• SMTP Port number: 25
  • No SSL
  • No authentication required for outgoing mail server

should work form home

• SMTP Port number 587
  • No SSL
  • Authentication the same as incoming mail server

should work from anywhere.  

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello ReedRichards,

I've checked the email setup against your data and they matched. However, by chance I looked at the emails stuck in the Outbox, and the oldest had a large number of photos attached. I added a test email to be sent to my account which is set up on my pc and tried to send it. Then I deleted all the other old emails as they weren't worth sending now, thus leaving just the email with the photos and my test email. I then deleted the email with the photos, and hey presto, the test email proceeded to my account. Therefore it looks like the problem was caused by that email with the photos being too big. I can't help thinking that if the indication of the cause of this problem was a bit more obvious, we would know what to do. However, it was a long time ago so perhaps when my wife tried to send her email, she received a fault message which told her the email was too big, but she killed the fault message without doing something about the cause. Who can tell after all this time.

Anyway, thankyou ReedRichards for your help

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I can tell.  Under the circumstances you describe you might get a timeout message but nothing helpful.  I encounter this problem quite frequently but as you failed to mention messages stuck in the Outbox I didn't twig.   

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I admit I was rather slow to consider the possibility of an email blocking the way, until I found that the oldest email had a load of photos attached. Still, when I inherited the problem, the fault didn't suggest it was that kind of problem.

Cheers

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Microsoft clients (Outlook / express and live mail) for some odd reason send sequentially and completely stop sending if there is an error. No further mail is sent irrespective of the fact that they may go successfully. It's an odd quirk that you would have expected them to sort out after all these years but they're not interested it seems.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!