cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Hosting/Linux Hosting

seanbranagh
Grafter

Windows Hosting/Linux Hosting

My own strong opinion about this is that Microsoft Windows belongs on the desktop (if even) and Linux belongs on the webserver but maybe I am missing something?
OK, ASP, can it do anything that cannot be done using PHP/MySQL etc? Is there any other reason to chose Windows hosting?
I personally can think of lots of reasons not to:
It costs about twice as much.
Windows is much more resource hungry requiring higher hardware specification for the same performance. Lets face it Windows servers have a graphical desktop that is not optional on a machine that likely does not even have a monitor attached!
Windows is less secure/prone to viruses etc.
Windows is less stable.
Windows needs restarted after just about every update.

Why do I always see hosting suppliers advertising Windows hosting like it is better lhan Linux hosting? What am I missing? Why would anyone want it?

20 REPLIES 20
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Windows Hosting/Linux Hosting

Maybe Windows users just like to stick with what they're familiar with.
If you were offered a cheaper deal but it involved switching to FreeBSD, for example, what would you do? 
mentalist3d
Grafter

I've always went with Linux hosting, I barely trust Microsoft to handle my day to day PC activities never mind powering my website.
I had a friend who moved a site to different host and went from Windows to Linux, and some pages weren't accessible and some images weren't showing, turns out, his page links and images, needed to be updated to match the exact file names. Linux is case sensitive whereas windows ignores uppercase and lowercase differences in files, so displayed them no bother. It took me a few hours to match up his code to file names, but after it was done, he had no problems with his site on Linux, I got the impression that sloppy coders prefer windows as it is more forgiving. lol
seanbranagh
Grafter

Always good practice to use lower case in filenames and extensions as is always using relative URL paths to files and in links. That way your (static html) site will run happily on any server.
Tyreal74
Grafter

im ratehr naughty because i either use all lower case or mixed case Like_This_For_Example.jpg - always lower case extension.
I use Linux / Apache as it just runs better overall. although a friend of mines just given me 10gb of free webspace with unlimited bandwidth which im going to start using as my personal host for my new business
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yep, Linux and Apache, once you get it working it just keeps working! Good luck with your business. With 10Gb spade you would be able to host media. Whats the business?
Not applicable

Oh dear - didn't know any of this. Have just registered my new domain for the website/forum that I am doing and there were two options - I chose Linux (obviously) - is it OK? 
seanbranagh
Grafter

Rest assured you have definitely made the right choice.Which ever forum you decide to use (smf, phpbb etc) it will run beautifuly with php/mysql on a Linux server.
Not applicable

Poppy breathes a sigh of relief!  Smiley
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Linux with a CPanel. I Really couldnt get on with Plesk. I never tried windows as there didnt seem any advantage and the price was double..
mentalist3d
Grafter

wow, someone voted for windows  Crazy So, who was it, own up please, lol
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Not me Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
seanbranagh
Grafter

Two Windows votes! I would honestly like to hear the reasons. Please please post, I am genuinely interested.
James
Grafter

I was trying to mess up the voting 😛
seanbranagh
Grafter

And down the drain goes democracy Grin