Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Explorer (or other progs) is not responding

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Windows Explorer (or other progs) is not responding

Since fitting a new HDD and doing a fresh install of Windows Vista from the CD supplied with the laptop by Dell.... I am plagued with "windows explorer is not responding" or Firefox is not responding"... so I go to CTRL ALT DEL, and get the usual start task manager window, and "close program"...
then I got a linky window to go to "fix the problem" on microsoft site... this came up with a story about the MFC file being corrupt and KB 972685 hot fix, should fix it... however this fix is dated July 2009, and I would have expected it to have been included in all the updates. downloaded automatically, since that date... (and since I installed a new HDD)...
when clicking on the "downloads" tab, I can find no place to actually down load KB972685, but two small .exe files underlined in blue....
do I just click on those two files? and will that "fix" the problem? (in other words are those two files, in fact, KB972685) ?? ?Huh
11 REPLIES 11
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Windows Explorer (or other progs) is not responding

Hi Gerry, Seems a problem you have run Into so download from my link, First file If your 32 bit and second file If your 64 bit, Down It, Save It Then Run It and report back...http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB972685/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2912
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Steve,
Yeah, that is the page I got to,,.... so have done the first file, and it has installed....
Finish page, says..... " it is highly recommended that you download  and install the laterst service packs and security updates for this product........"
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ah was not sure, I thought you got another page that has blue writing but when you click them bugger all happens and takes you round In a wild goose chase, I hope that fixes your problem though?
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. Thanks for your help.... will come back here if it doesn`t ! ! ... Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

No worries, Maybe you should use secunia aswell, It will tell you If you need any further updates maybe missing? You can get It here....http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
shutter
Community Veteran

Have downloaded the Secunia prog, ran it, and it found 4 problems, (one of which included 13 updates for microsoft !) and one Java .... have downloaded and installed the "patches" and hopefully all is well again...
thanks very much...  Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I hope you created a system restore point before applying all them updates? Just to be on the safe side, You surely will have boosted Engerland's score now In your secunia profile Grin
Edit...Brain Malfunction...
shutter
Community Veteran

Yay !  .... I think my score was 95% when I first ran it.... now it it 100% !.... Cheesy

your Secunia System Score of 100% is 5% HIGHER than the average user from England......
compared to users WITHOUT the Secunia PSI installed, your Secunia System Score is 10% HIGHER (more secure)

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah cool Ive had a look at our map and see that with what you have done today Engerland Is sitting at 94.50 % now and thanks to my readings...
Your secunia system score of 100% Is 5% Higher than the average user from Scotland....Compared to users without the secunia psi Installed your secunia score Is 15% Higher ( More secure )

Scotland Is......94.86%....( Close call )
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... does that make us "Trendsetters" then  ?  Grin Grin Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Of course Grin Grin