Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Auto Update....grrr!

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Windows Auto Update....grrr!

last night decided to do a deep scan and left computer on over night. This morning found that MS had downloaded a security update and automatically restarted the system, so scan had to be done again. Is there a setting to prevent MS bully an automatic restart in such cases?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Windows Auto Update....grrr!

Hmm.
MS Updates wouldn't normally be applied unless you were turning off your computer?  Maybe the scan forced a restart?
Luzern
Hero

Well the screen message when I turned the monitor on referred to Windows update security download and the computer restarting, no mention of the scan causing a restart. Moreover the scan restart would only be after I had removed any nasties.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Not applicable

Depends on the settings, the default is to "Automatically download updates and install them at <insert time>"
I'm not sure on the usual default time for installation, but I think its the middle of the night. Normally most of us would miss the default install time, and the next time we'd be prompted would be when we came to shut down the computer, unless of course we left it on until the next windows update installation time came around.
Of course, when updates are ready for installation, you get the pop-up notifications too, but you can turn these off also.
Jameseh - Do you all still have to manually apply your Windows updates, or have you started getting them automatically from a server on your network? I know the internal network used to be fairly flexible because of the number of devs and techy's. It may be that a network policy forces yours to install only when you shut down your machine.
James
Grafter

Sorry Jameseg, I'm on about my home computer.
It only installed my updates when I turned off my computer about midnight last night.  That's how it's always done it from what I can remember.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Why not just turn off the router or disable Ethernet ?
Not applicable

This would work as a method for preventing updates from being downloaded, but if the updates have already been downloaded, and the machine is just waiting for a scheduled time to install them, it wouldn't solve the problem.
Turning Automatic updates off temporarily would work though, as this would prevent new updates from being downloaded, and also prevent any already downloaded from being installed.
Alternatively you could alter the options so that Automatic Updates will download them automatically, then prompt the user for installation.
Luzern
Hero

@James_G Thanks the old brain box is furring up.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

i only allow MS to manually up date, I have Auto update disabled, then I am in control.  you then go to custom an get a tick and + box, they dont like telling you what the updates are, but I recently stopped Messenger from reinstalling, the are still bullying me.
Reason I first did it was XP SP3