cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Activation

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Windows Activation

My girlfriend and mother In law have both bought a PC, Its coming with windows 7 64bit home premium but only has 2GB of Ram, Can I wipe the drive clean when It comes and Install 32 bit windows home premium from my DVD but use their product keys to activate It legally?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows Activation

To be honest I would just stick more memory in it
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah that would be the best way Jim but I'm worried as both have used 32 bit all their PC life's and It would take some learning especially for mother In law to download things all In 64 bit.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That just isn't a problem.
Other than a few drivers all my downloads are 32 bit.
They won't even notice it
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm with Jim. Stick 4GB in it.  Cool
Most downloads are either the same or sort themselves out, can't see it being an issue really.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Al-right I will leave It as 64 bit, Could I do a clean Install with my 64bit DVD but use their product key? Would save me time with all the bloat ware that's going to be In It?
HPsauce
Pro

Why reinstall? Just uninstall surplus software, it won't take long.
First, I'd make sure you have a reinstall DVD - if it doesn't have one run the supplied utility to create it.
What brand is it?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its a COMPAQ Presario.
HPsauce
Pro

That will DEFINITELY have a tool to recreate install/recovery disks - probably a seriously big set - assuming they're not supplied. Do it first.  Wink
Bud
Grafter

You may find that you can only reinstall using the recovery discs you have to make, as some OEM serials wont activate with a normal windows 7 disc I gather.
Stick with 64bit though with some extra ram in it
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Bud
... some OEM serials wont activate with a normal windows 7 disc I gather.

As far as I can remember, that was certainly true with earlier versions of Windows.  If you had an OEM key you needed an OEM disc to re-install, not a retail disc.   
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the responses, I have made a repair disc of each system and also a system Image of each system.
Not applicable

I know that it's a pain with all this bloatware and I can see why you think a clean install is best (it may well be).  However, having had just this 'problem' with my Sony, I still think that it is probably better to download a copy of Revo Uninstaller and go through everything one by one.  It could be less involving than a reinstall taking into account drivers.
I am now down to a reasonably basic install, just one or two things that I am not 100% sure about. Of course the problem would occur again if I reinstalled because my recovery discs were made when the system was new.  I suppose that I should do a full backup rather than just backing up documents etc. 
Anyway, I don't think that the 64-bit is a problem.  It hasn't been with me and of course stuff won't download if it is not compatible.  For instance, my favourite partitioning tool, Easeus wouldn't install because the free version is only 32-bit.