Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 security - does it need add on package

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Windows 8 security - does it need add on package

My question is does Windows 8 need add on Internet security - as we have done for so long ?

I have read here ( you may only be able to read if you re a Which subscriber )
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/software/reviews/security-software/product-finder/
that they score Win 8 at 92% when other packages are lower - typically Noron 74%, Kapersky 73% , McAfee 69%
Obviously these software vendors have a vested interest in promoting their own products and playing on the alleged insecurity of bare Windows software
And clearly OEM vendows such as the PC manufactures get something from the security software companies for putting in trial vesrions of software.
Are we being duped - and can Windows 8 run securly with no addition security products?
Mal
22 REPLIES 22
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Windows 8 security - does it need add on package

I can't comment on the Which report as I can't see it
However in general I am very suspicious of reports where they don't have the expertise
I would instead refer to two of the leading independent testing organisations and for both of them Windows Defender comes out bottom
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/
http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have had no extra AV on my windows 7 , for the past 3 years except windows own , defender & security essentials  Wink , And have never been compromised by any Virus.
The need for any AV depends on your browsing habbits , and common sence , if you dont vist dubious web pages or open spurious Emails you should not get any little buggies on your PC .
mind you i never use  "microsoft  Internet explorer"  Wink  the esiest browser to hack .
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

@rongtw
And how would anyone with safe surfing habits without any AV, Security etc when
They visit a known safe site that they have done so for many a year today, close everything down
And Tomorrow
Boot everything up, visit that same site that was safe but has been hacked overnight, installs a trojan on your PC, steals your online bank details and cleared your account, and your now skint, because you did not have any security to warn you of a close call and could of prevented the attack. ?Huh
I agree that safe surfing habits are a must and do a lot to prevent potential attacks
And
I have no sympathy for those that turn off or minimise any security for d/loading torrents, searching for Adult viewing content etc as just as in real life there are many a virus
I will give you a clue
Internet explorer is not Open Source, therefore more susceptible to attacks
PowerLee
Pro

The built in Windows Defender in Windows 8 is basically just a rebranded version of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Defender for Windows 8 is totally different from Defender in Windows 7, Vista & available for XP & Server 2003.
As for Windows 7 & Vista, if you install MSE it actually turns OFF the original built in defender as its no longer needed.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

TORPC , i understand what you are saying , but even still i have still never had any virus or trojan,s on my PC
Mav
Fixes: 514

Is it that you have never had a virus or trojan appear on your PC or that Defender/MSE has caught them before any infection has taken place?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
TORPC , i understand what you are saying , but even still i have still never had any virus or trojan,s on my PC

How can you be 100% sure that you have never or are not compromised in any way ?Huh
There are Trojans / Viruses / Spyware that will not do anything except report its finding to its HQ and will not show itself as, a problem like slowing down the PC / Opening fake AV boxes etc
Some Nasties can lay dormant for ages until it is triggered by the users actions, or triggered by a set time / date etc
Install run the free malwarebytes and you will have a better idea, when you see the report
HPsauce
Pro

I've seen plenty of PC's (and no doubt TORPC has too) with professional paid-for full-fat security products installed and apparently running properly, yet still infected with Malware.  Lips_are_sealed
TORPC
Grafter

@HPsauce
I have indeed seen many clients PC's riddled with malware even though they have had installed the likes of AVG, Norton, MCAffee and many others on both free and paid versions of the AV's
I have even had to manually remove viruses as they were so new that no AV would detect them at the time
The problem is not always the installed AV's fault
As it is mostly caused by the users surfing habits, like
1, Downloading torrents
2, Surfing for Adult or illegal material
3, Installing 3rd party software that comes with free software
4, Surfing game cheat sites
5, Lowering or turning off security so they can play games etc
And much more
Unfortunately many a PC repair shop will still recommend and or install AVG
I used to be an avid AVG fan until I had my 1st set of viruses back in 2002 when AVG started to go downhill from V6.0
I have found Avast and MSSE aka Windows Defender to be the best on the market for the past few years, I dont always go by the reviews as they are mostly biased
I go by actual experience by riddling my test rigs with malware and then throw the AV's at them
I will always be prepared to move with the times and change AV if it becomes lower than the top 4 at any 1 time
No AV is 100% as there are millions of Nasties that are bot generated at lightening speeds and the AV vendors are always 1 or more steps behind

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
it is mostly caused by the users surfing habits
Some of my regular customers just accept that, they know what they do is legal but risky. Good repeat business.  Lips_are_sealed
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

One of the other main things i say to people , when you download free software , Be very carefull as if you click OK willy nilly you may be agreeing to install software that you didnt ask for ,
this i have noticed a lot , you get loads of extra bits installed especially from download.com .
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
Be very carefull as if you click OK willy nilly you may be agreeing to install software that you didnt ask for ,
this i have noticed a lot , you get loads of extra bits installed especially from download.com .

There is a saying that springs to mind
[tt]You can take a horse to water, but can not make them drink[/tt]
Trouble is that most people have not got the Time, patience & has distractions of nagging kids, , pets that are alowed to run along the keyboard, family members etc,
Which reflects on the [tt]I want / need / must have it now syndrome[/tt]
In all fairness. how can any 1 of us & (yes that includes me) know that our devices are 100% free of any backdoor nasties, like trojans, hidden rootkits etc, which can lay hidden until the AV vendor of your choosing gets the info and deploys the script in a update
I have also seen where clients have installed 2 or more resident AV's or bad combination of AV's, antispyware, firewalls etc which causes conflict and does more harm than good
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I always tell my clients that whilst it may be said that "you can't have enough of a good thing", when it comes to security software that just isn't true.  I've seen computers reduced to crawling speed by running two active security software packages simultaneously. 
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: Mal08
My question is does Windows 8 need add on Internet security - as we have done for so long ?

I am not sure whether anyone has actually answered the OP's question. Clearly a number of experts have posted, could they please say whether, if they were using Win 8.1, they would install third party anti-malware and if yes which one?