cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 installing software... help please

Mav
Fixes: 515

Windows 8 installing software... help please

I bought an HP Pavilion g6-2210sa Notebook PC for my daughter's 18th birthday coming soon.
I want to set it up for her with security programs and get rid of all the junk put on by HP and set up a few other programs I know she uses.
I've uninstalled Norton and set up Windows Defender (shame about the lack of built-in scheduler but it seems I can set it with Windows Scheduler).
In trying to install Skype I keep going round in circles. Attempting to do this from the Start screen. Having selected Skype it goes to a page offering lots of other updates, too, so I unselect them for now and then Skype fails to download. No problems with internet access as I can browse without issue.
If I go to Skype's home page and try to download and install from there it send me back to the Skype page from the Start Menu screen where clicking on Install I am asked for my Microsoft Account. I don't want to use that I just want to enter my Skype account details but it won't let me.
How do I proceed with installing Skype the way I want it?
Thanks.
Edit: Finally got Skype installed but, after a couple of setup questions, it's now asking once again for me to enter my MS account details which I don't want to do. Clicking on Cancel or pressing Escape just refreshes the same page Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
CX
Grafter

Re: Windows 8 installing software... help please

You sign in with your MS Account details first, and then it makes you merge that with your Skype account. I don't think there is any way around that other than to use the regular desktop version of Skype for Windows 7.
Probably Microsoft's way of getting everyone using their Microsoft accounts (and MS own Skype). I don't agree with this forced merging.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Was skyping B-I-L over christmas, he had Win8 and Skype, said he went back to an older version (of Skype)
Mav

Aha, thanks.
It seems almost everything on W8 requires a login to M$ Angry
I think I'll leave setting the rest up after installing the security programs until I'm with my daughter.
Let her work it all out Cheesy Wink
@journeys
When I went to Skype's website it recognised I was using W8 and sent me back on that same loop.
How do you get an older version?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

CX
Grafter

Mav

Thankyou.
Actually, just found it... should have scrolled window down Crazy

tarquel
Grafter

If it helps, here's a direct link to a older version 6.0.0.120:
http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.0.0.120.msi
For me, i got both a normal skype login along with the optional logins of a MS account or Facebook.
Cheers.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just for a laugh Microsoft tell me this:

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
It seems almost everything on W8 requires a login to M$ Angry

Only if you configure it that way.  Lips_are_sealed
I'd give up at this point and use the factory reset option (check it's available first, create recovery DVD's etc.) and set it up again only using a local logon.
I've got multiple W8 systems set up that way and no problems with Skype etc. at all.  Wink