Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and no touchpads

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Windows 8 and no touchpads

I find it quite amazing that apart from Logitech (who are out  of stock) no one has taken the opportunity to make touchpads for Windows 8, There must be millions of people who will upgrade to Win 8 who do not have touchpad devices,
12 REPLIES 12
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Windows 8 and no touchpads

Given the number of people with touchpads on their laptops who buy/prefer mice,  I'm not suprised in the slightest!
For gesture control, I can see a use,  but as a pointing device their practically useless,  especially if you've got a multi monitor setup!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunatly there are also millions who think Microsoft  win 8  is a waste of time and myself for one will not upgrade .
win8 is a Phone OS and not very good for normal PC use ie keyboard & mouse , there are plenty of forums about who state MS has shot themselves in the foot with this OS  
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you tried it I wonder? I was not sure so installed it on my laptop and I find it very nice. Would be much better with a  decent touch pad though.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes i did try it ,,,,, not impressed  Embarrassed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So, Can you use a mouse with W8 ?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes. But significant parts of it are clearly touchpad-oriented so it seems very odd at times.
Or, as I have, largely bypass the new interface with 3rd-party add-ons.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Seems a bit daft.... cos that means, I shall have to buy a "touch screen" laptop, to be able to use W8.... as my current one probably won`t work....  ( or is it all done in the software ? ? ? )
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Why do you want to upgrade to W8?
It will most likely work though.
shutter
Community Veteran

Don`t really want to upgrade !... was just curious, if a free copy should come my way, via santa`s christmas delivery !...   Cheesy

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: kmilburn
For gesture control, I can see a use,  but as a pointing device their practically useless,  especially if you've got a multi monitor setup!

I use a trackpad with my Macs over dual monitors and it's great only place a mouse is better is with photo editing - but then a tablet and pen is better for that anyway....
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
computing50yrs
Grafter

I was recently called to sort out a All in One PC with Touch screen which the owner had attempted to convert from Win 7 to Win 8, it had almost completed installing then it crashed. It attempted to roll back the PC to Win 7 but failed there.  The guy then contacted Microsoft about trying to restore back to Win 7 and was passed to support in India. The support guy then remotely logged into his PC and attempted to put things right but then lost the Internet connection leaving the PC without Internet connection etc
This is when I was called. On examining the PC I found that no drivers were running. I eventually found that I had to use MSCONFIG to get to services & startup and found that all the ticks had been removed. I just enabled all and rebooted the PC and all was working.
Comment from the guy was "i am not going to put Win 8 on again."
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/windows-8-uneven-uptake-96513
Microsoft’s fightback against the tablet juggernaut with its forthcoming Windows 8 operating system promises to be a bumpy ride.
A check with Microsoft’s supply chain partners in Asia indicates that the production of Windows 8-based devices will briefly surge this Autumn before tapering off, with sustained high volume production unlikely to kick in until the second half of 2013, according to industry analysts.

I think Microsoft will be going the same direction as Comet.
Grin Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."