cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and Plusnet Assist

terwil

Windows 8 and Plusnet Assist

Does anyone know why PlusNet Assist does not yet work with windows 8 ?    Windows 8 has been around for a long time now !
12 REPLIES 12
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Windows 8 and Plusnet Assist

We've not updated it for windows 8 and to be honest I dont think there are any plans to do so Sad
Dan
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plusnet assist is only helpful in a very limited set of circumstances but sits there consuming your PCs resources all the time.  Hopefully Plusnet will allow it to die out.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are lucky it doesn't work on Windows 8 because if it did you might be tempted to use it! Tongue
Seriously, the collective opinion of the experienced users on here is that it is a waste of time. There is nothing it does that can't be done manually given the correct advice.
I assume you were trying to install it to fix an issue. Post to tell us what the issue is and we will give you guidance on how to resolve it.
Also: see this topic started by one of the forum moderators: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132039. There are many other topics on here along similar lines.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

Also,
As it has not been updated for win8, it will also be unlikely to have been updated for the modern issue(s), that could arise Sad
I wonder how many members it will take, to say PULL IT, before PN will listen ?Huh
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It does not matter how bad the software is, I think it is very wrong of Plusnet to highlight Plusnet Assist on the signup page when it does not work with Windows 8 or earlier Windows versions using Internet Explorer 10 or above. In my mind highlighting this as a  "feature' without any comment on these serious exclusions is bordering on false advertising.
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/
clicking on the 'Show Details and Upgrade Call Plan" link:-
Fix connection problems with our free help tool - Plusnet Assist

and when you click on the following "?"
Simply download and install our free tool, then just let it watch for problems. If it can, it'll automatically fix them on the spot!

There is absolutely no mention that it will not work with any system running an up to date version of Internet Explorer (which I am guessing the vast majority of new customers are). It is made all the worse because Plusnet have said they are not currently working on a solution to this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: acr
In my mind highlighting this as a  "feature' without any comment on these serious exclusions is bordering on false advertising.

It's not bordering on false advertising - it is false advertising.
This point was raised recently and apparently still nothing has been done about it. I think the time has come that we should report it: http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: TORPC
I wonder how many members it will take, to say PULL IT, before PN will listen ?Huh

It's already accumulated enough such opinion over the last year or so - but Plusnet are just not listening  ::)..  Even a gentle prod that the ASA could take a dim view of the advertising had nil effect..
It will put a big dent in their "Proud of being Yorkshire" adverts if they do get challenged?
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It will be interesting to see if the ASA follow up and then what happens!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Here's one topic where we raised the ASA aspect: http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=132756
I find it incredible that we've seen so many posts from new users frustrated or upset when trying to install it and still nothing is done!
TORPC
Grafter

Which includes an Ex DCT that falsely accuses a member of having an attitude, due to the fact that the Ex DCT do not want to address the truth (AGAIN)!!!!!!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Jelv
I've escalated this again internally with some examples of the threads that have cropped up recently about Plusnet Assist. I can't promise anything but wanted to make sure that you knew this is something we're aware of internally.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TORPC
Grafter

@Chris
Whilst we appreciate that DCT / CRT has fed this back internally, more than once, it is the internal aspects that is letting the side down & needs a revamp, to make sure that Customers / DCT / CRT are not having to continually repeat themselves, for the right thing(s) to be done