Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and Avira - whoops!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows 8 and Avira - whoops!

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Avira-incompatible-with-Windows-8-and-Windows-Server-2012...
In a new knowledge base post on its site, German security company Avira is now warning customers that its products are currently incompatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 with existing Avira products installed will result in a blue error screen.
Apparently, the problem will only be fixed by the company in the first quarter of 2013. Avira says that "significant changes to the operating system platform" of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 are the reason for the incompatibility. On systems that have already been upgraded to the latest version of Windows, Avira software can only be uninstalled manually and, to do so, systems may need to be booted in safe mode.
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Windows 8 and Avira - whoops!

As you say.... Ooops !... indeed.....
Glad I`m not using either, or both.... !
prichardson
Grafter

This was ultimately inevitable to occur, though in this product sector, it always makes that more painful.
I dunno which would be worse though. A security product that gave me an unusable computer because it wasn't compatible, or a security product that looks like it is working normally but offering my zero protections.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Largely caused my Microsoft's "Secret Squirrel"  attitude in releasing much of the information to the Market ahead of launch.  "The Tablet" and RT versions of Windows8 in particular!  An attempt to use the Apple style 'lock in' model to only support Microsoft Apps and hardware - doomed?
E.G. My email supplier - Kerio - is still awaiting hardware so they can develop compatible code for their Exchange look alike product.  As I understand things even Microsoft is only planning very limited exchange connectivity for the RT version. Crazy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prichardson
Grafter

Indeed,
Though look at Apple products, all apps started as web-apps with no actual application system as such. Even after the proper SDK, many apps were web-apps and some today work better as web-apps.
No doubt this may occur with RT for quite some time.