cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 - Couldn't resist any longer

CX
Grafter

Re: Windows 8 - Couldn't resist any longer

After a week or so of using Windows 8, my main complaint of "TIFKAM" is the "All Apps" page. What a complete and utter mess. You can zoom out (CTRL + mouse-wheel) which makes it display the traditional Start menu's top-level folders, but clicking on one of them doesn't actually narrow down upon the re-zoom to your selection. Instead, it focuses the screen in the general area but there doesn't appear to be any consistency as to where on the screen your selection is. The only time the All Apps page could be remotely useful is if you have completely forgotten the name of an un-pinned program (or "app").
A more sensible solution would be for More Apps to have a clear divide between Metro TIFKAM apps, displayed as icons, and then in the next and subsequent pages, a simple hierarchical list.
Sadly, oversights such as this do not in reality impact daily usage of Windows 8, but will be brought up as examples of why not to use it (by people who more than likely haven't even tried it themselves).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't think what you do daily counts for a great deal; you'll quickly learn how to do it no matter how difficult it is.  I think usability is more about how easy it is to do things you don't do very often.
Example: try emptying the deleted items folder in the Windows 8 Mail App (clue: if you can find how to do this you are a Windows 8 Super-Genius). 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

For a two month old article I've not heard of such outbursts... yet.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

some good reading here  Wink
http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have to say having used Windows 8 for a few days I see very little difference between the start button on earlier versions of Windows and the Start page on Windows 8 - they're essentially the same thing presented a bit differently.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

This afternoon I was helping to set up an expensive Vaio laptop with a Core i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, running Windows 8.  You might have expected this to go like a rocket but actually is was very 'pausey'.  Between telling he downloaded copy of Office 2010 Home and Student to run and anything visible happening seemed to take several minutes.  And what happened to Office 2010 Starter?  Has it been phased out for Windows 8 or were Sony just too cheap to supply it?
CX
Grafter

That does surprise me, based on my experiences of Windows 8 performance (and this was an upgrade install, so doesn't benefit from being totally clean).
What hard disk was in it? Windows 8 may perform better than Windows 7 in certain areas, but nothing is going to work magic on a 5400RPM disk.
VileReynard
Hero

With 8GB of RAM?  Cheesy
Why not just read the first 7GB of your hard disk into RAM - that should give you most of your OS - even on Windows.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

My problems Windows 8 problems were with this computer http://www.johnlewis.com/231756350/Product.aspx .   
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm not endorsing the sentiments but the headline here is eye-catching http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/windows-8-criticism-android-ios/
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Having only used it a week I know that the following statement is wrong and seriously misleading/misguided:
Some functions, such as ‘start an application’ or ‘restart the computer’ are available only from the tablet interface. Conversely, when one is comfortably ensconced in a touch/tablet application, an additional click will fire up a Web browser, thereby causing the tablet to disappear in favor of the desktop. Many of the ‘apps’ that show up on the ‘all apps’ menu at the bottom of the screen (accessible only if you swipe down from the top of the screen) dump you right into the desktop on the first click.”
I fail to see how someone could write such an article (I haven't seen or searched for the original) if they've actually used it.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: ReedRichards
My problems Windows 8 problems were with this computer http://www.johnlewis.com/231756350/Product.aspx .     

Why would you spend all that money on a tablet with issues?
You could get a reasonably decent, large HD screen gaming machine for that price.
Or a proper PC for half that price.  Cheesy
You don't even get the caché of an i-thing.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Un
Why would you spend all that money on a tablet with issues?

It's not a tablet and it's not my computer.  My client explained that he thought he was future-proofing himself by buying the latest version of Windows and a top-of-the-range Intel processor.  The customer is always right. 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: drj
Having only used it a week I know that the following statement is wrong and seriously misleading/misguided:

The only way I have found of turning Windows 8 off is to poke the top right hand corner of the display with the mouse cursor to invoke a menu, then down to the bottom icon (settings) and click, then click the icon to turn off the computer.  So turning of using the mouse involves rather more jiggery pokery than with Windows 7  (Click Start button then click Shut down) although XP was similarly multi-stage.
Maybe I should just use a quick push of the power button on the chassis?