Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1

Devonian
Grafter

Re: Windows 8.1

Interesting.
Twice on the laptop, and once on the desktop for no apparent reason, my profile with admin privileges failed to start and I had to make new profiles. 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Well you didn't have to make new profiles.  System Restore run from Repair My Computer would have fixed it.  But it seems likely that the remnants of your old profile is what gives the update problem.
pcathomerepairs
Grafter

its quite possible the update has fecked with your system and given you the temp profile problem
, it could be a registry problem or  it could've been the system crashing out thats doing it either way you have done the right thing and created a new account with admin rights
have you run the upgrade assistant
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq
or try automatic repair feature
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-the-windows-8-automatic-repair-feature-works/...
i still think it is the update?
Devonian
Grafter

@ReedRichards that's not quite true. 
It seem's to be some kind of glitch with Windows 8, where randomly when you power on, all the profiles revert to temp profiles, and using restore points doesn't solve it.
The first time it happened, I didn't have a back up, and all my work accounts etc disappeared. (stupid me).
The only way to solve it is delete the old profile and create a new one.
For some reason some files on the duff profile are ruined, where as others still work.
@365 I have been playing all morning, and finally cracked it!
Yes, I tried the assistant tool, it came back as 100% compatible.
The problem was the old profiles that had corrupted.
I deleted the whole folders, run the update again, and it installed perfectly.
JamesM
Grafter

I don't know if this will help, but if you right click on your c drive and then "disk clean up", then "clear system files", you will see windows update, clear this and it could work, seems windows update is causing havoc with win 8 and 8.1.
pcathomerepairs
Grafter

nice one glad you got it sorted out
Devonian
Grafter

I tried that James and it didn't work.
I went into the users file, then deleted the folders of every profile except the current one, and voila, it worked!
Cheers guys. 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Devonian
@ReedRichards that's not quite true. 
It seem's to be some kind of glitch with Windows 8, where randomly when you power on, all the profiles revert to temp profiles, and using restore points doesn't solve it.

I cannot have met this one yet.  I was thinking of the "user profile service failed the logon" error that crops up occasionally on Vista and Windows 7.  But I'm glad you got your upgrade sorted.   
Devonian
Grafter

@ReedRichards You don't want to meet it!
It appears out of know where. 
I close down the computer via the shut down option.. then when I switch on the next time, I click my profile picture, type the password, press enter.. it starts to load, then instead of the usual logging on message under the picture, it says 'arranging desk top' then it starts in a temp file.
I have no idea how or why it does it, but it's done a few time now!
coastergrotto
Grafter

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 earlier this week but had massive problems with Windows Speech Recognition, where the speech tutorial is different from that in Windows 8.  I had to keep repeating words and even then it didn't recognise half of what I said.  I was so frustrated with it that the next morning I did a factory reset and reinstalled Windows 8.  Now it's working perfectly so, unless they correct the problem, I won't be using Windows 8.1.
Anyone else had this problem?
Roberto0151
Grafter

An annoying problem I have discovered with 8.1 is that my old Dell AIO printer, which was perfectly acceptable to Win 8 is "incompatible" with 8.1.  For the time being I guess I can print via my old XP desktop, but eventually, for security reasons, this will mean a new printer.  Sad
dragon2611
Grafter

I'm noticing some display glitches in firefox, particularly with tihs forum.
Not sure if it's the Intel or the Nvidia drivers at fault, I think possibly Intel as according to the Nvidia control panel firefox is running on the IGP (It's an optimus equipped machine)
Devonian
Grafter

I'm seeing the same, and it's driving me mad!